Toddlers: 24 Months+

Re- Cereal- I am not crazy then.

Ok,  I am not crazy then thinking FRUIT LOOPS for a 2.5 year old who eats sugar all the time is insane!! 

Am I right, or am I nuts? 

DS eats oatmeal every morning, or a scrambled egg.  He is beginning to get into my cereal which is special K.  i am thinking of buying honey nut cheerios for him. 

A friend of mine is super proud that her 2.5 year old eats fruit loops every morning, then wonders why her daughter runs around and refuses to nap!!  umm too much sugar.  the fruit loops have sugar, the ice cream you gave her for a snack- sugar- and the cupcake after lunch- sugar!!  hello- too much sugar for an adult, let alone a 2.5 year old!!! 

Re: Re- Cereal- I am not crazy then.

• no your not crazy but your friend is!Indifferent
  • We give DD fruit loops occasionally, and she never bounces of the walls when we do.  Maybe it effects more kids then others???
  • Loading the player...
  • Mrs aaguilar- Do you limit the other sugar she eats? 

The little girl in DS playgroup is OFF THE WALL.  But she eats SOO much sugar.  she refuses lunch, wants a hoodsie.  and her mom goes ok and she gets it.  then asks for cupcake, ok gets it.  then as we are all leaving wondering why she is running around bonkers. 

I love fruit loops and I am sure DS will eat them!!  soo good. 

• i only give ds plain cheerios with yogurt for breakfast sometimes, i'm terrified of giving him to much sugar! your friend is nuts!
  • A great alternative to Fruit Loops is the Fruity Cheerios.  DD loves 'em.  But they're not sugary enough for me, LOL!!!
  • Yeah -- I would personally not be comfortable with my child's breakfast being Froot Loops on a regular basis.  I have heard that the sugar-hyper kid connection is a myth, but I know a mom whose kid eats a surprising amount of sugar and he always seems hyper to me.

When my DS was 2, he probably ate no more than 8 oz of food a day, (and of that probably 6 oz was bread!)   Giving him a 4 oz cupcake or 4 cookies would mean 1/3 of his total food consumption was junk. 

My kids hardly eat cereal and it's a pain.  Occasionally they ask for it in the store and I get it for them, thinking "woo hoo, they're going to eat cereal -- breakfast will be so much easier!"  Then they eat it for two days and on the third day say "nah" to cereal and ask for oatmeal or bagel.  I can't tell you how many partial boxes of stale cereal I've thrown away.

The one they will actually stick with is Honey Nut Cheerios.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • We have fruit loops for breakfast on occasion but ds is no more hyper than any other 19 month old little boy.  We do try to cycle breakfast a lot because it the one meal that DS eats a lot of!  I think a small amount of sugar throughout the day is not a bad thing!!!  This is coming for a sugarholic though!!
  • imageakwjwk:
    We have fruit loops for breakfast on occasion but ds is no more hyper than any other 19 month old little boy.  We do try to cycle breakfast a lot because it the one meal that DS eats a lot of!  I think a small amount of sugar throughout the day is not a bad thing!!!  This is coming for a sugarholic though!!
  • imageakwjwk:
    We have fruit loops for breakfast on occasion but ds is no more hyper than any other 19 month old little boy.  We do try to cycle breakfast a lot because it the one meal that DS eats a lot of!  I think a small amount of sugar throughout the day is not a bad thing!!!  This is coming for a sugarholic though!!
  • It did not let me type!!

I am a big sugaraholic too.  and DS definitly gets his sugar in.  Easter morning he ate a big cadbury egg for breakfast!!  ha ha ha. 

• I agree, you're not nuts, but your friend is.  Holy crap!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagemrs.aaguilar:
    We give DD fruit loops occasionally, and she never bounces of the walls when we do.  Maybe it effects more kids then others???

this. 

• Is your friend trying to turn her child into an obese diabetic kid? Yikes.

I consider Fruit Loops to be like a bowl of ice cream to me. They aren't for breakfast. They are for desert.

Parents giving their kids pudding as a snack is one of my biggest pet peeves. 

• imageJulieandBen:

Is your friend trying to turn her child into an obese diabetic kid? Yikes.

I consider Fruit Loops to be like a bowl of ice cream to me. They aren't for breakfast. They are for desert.

Parents giving their kids pudding as a snack is one of my biggest pet peeves. 

eh, we do sugar free/fat free pudding LOL 

and maybe im weird bc we dont really eat cereal as "breakfast". i have a mishmosh of cereal that is a snack sometimes. it has cheerios, special k, fruit loops, etc.. all in the same container LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"