Baby Names

Sound too much of a nickname?

Ellie?  Do you think it's a name that stands ok on its own or do you think it sounds too much like a nick name??

I'd love to hear your thoughts?? :) Thanks in advance

Re: Sound too much of a nickname?

• I don't think so. But while I do like Ellie, I don't think it will age well. I can't see a grown woman with such a name. I think Elle is the way to go, with Ellie as a nickname. At least it will age better that way.
  • it does sound like a nn. cute, but even so, it's soooo popular that she would be one of 5 in her class.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I like it, but agree with pps, it won't age very well, and it's becoming rather trendy.
  • I think its more of a nn
  • I think it's too much of a nn to stand alone. You could always call her that, but give I would her a formal name too.?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I love it as a nn but I would use Elle as a name
  • IMO it is a nn and not a stand alone name. There are so many beautiful names that it could be a nn for though like: Elena, Eleanor, Elise. I would give her a full name and then she can always go by Ellie if she wants to or use the full name in a more professional setting.

• It sounds more like a nn to me.
  • imagemZoe:
    I don't think it will age well. I can't see a grown woman with such a name. I think Elle is the way to go, with Ellie as a nickname. At least it will age better that way.

I know a 50+ year old woman named Ellie (it's not a nickname) and I think it suits her.  I think names age with the person.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Oh no. We're looking at it for if we have a girl. I think its pretty.?
  • imageiluvtom:
    I love it as a nn but I would use Elle as a name
    Agreed
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageiluvtom:
    Agreed
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagestarsmaycollide:
    I think it's too much of a nn to stand alone. You could always call her that, but give I would her a formal name too.

agreed 

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imagelolonyo:

imagemZoe:
    I don't think it will age well. I can't see a grown woman with such a name. I think Elle is the way to go, with Ellie as a nickname. At least it will age better that way.

?I know a 50+ year old woman named Ellie (it's not a nickname) and I think it suits her.? I think names age with the person.

I was just about to post the same thing! I know an Ellie (not a nickname) who is 60, a marriage and family psychologist, successful, and the name sounds perfect on her.?

• dpdwdpdw member

I think of it as a nn & would assume it was short for something else.  That said, a friend of mine named her DD Ellie & it's not short for anything. 

If you want to go with a more formal name, some suggested Elle, but Ella would be another pretty alternative.

• kiki4kiki4 member
    Personally, I don't like the name at all, but if you were to use it, I think it's more of a nick name.
    BFP 1/19/12 No heartbeat at 7w4d 3rd dose Cytotec 3/1/12
    *PGAL/PAL Welcome*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

My Ovulation Chart

• A coworker of mine has a grand daughter named Ellie.  I think if you love Ellie as a first name you should go with it.  I'm not much for nicknames.  JMO. 
  • I agree, it sounds young to me. I love it but maybe giev the name Ellen, Elenor, or Elle
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• imageiluvtom:

This

• That is hard to picture on a resume... I would give her a formal name, itd be better for the long run.  How about Elliot?
  • There are so many options to go with, using Ellie as a nn.

Ellery, Ella, Elizabeth, Eliza, Ellen, Eleanor, Eleanora, etc.

It's a lovely name, but particularly with its popularity, I'd go with something that could be lengthened if she chose. While she might be the perfect Ellie as a little girl, she might want to distinguish herself from the others in school and go by a longer form of her name.

• imageSoonToBeCherget:
    That is hard to picture on a resume... I would give her a formal name, itd be better for the long run.  How about Elliot?

My boss has a grandaughter named Elliott(mothers maiden name) but I think she will always go by Ellie. I think it's cute, but on a resume she may be mistaken for a guy, oh well

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"