Breastfeeding

How to exclusively pump?

BF has been a struggle since day one. We have had many outside challenges due to my LO being a late preemie, tongue tied and loosing a bunch of weight. We had to supplement with pumped milk early on. DS seemed to do great until recently. A few days ago we struggled with latching  on. DS seemed to get it within a day and we were back on track. Now, it is even worse and he is completely confused again. For the last two days it is impossible to get him latched on correctly for any amount of time. If he does latch on, then he just sucks the tip of my nipple. This morning, I couldn't get him to open up at all.

With all of this going on, I am interested in learning how to exclusively pump after you have been breastfeeding. How many times a day should I try? How long does each session last?  Should I pump at night? Also, was it particularly hard to pump and feed or do you adjust well?

Any advice or tips you have on getting started are greatly appreciated!

Re: How to exclusively pump?

• The short of the matter-

pump every 2-3 hours around the clock for AT LEAST the first 12 weeks.

pump for around 15-20 minutes each session.

Its EXTREMELY hard to juggle both pumping and feeding. But like everything, doable if you put your mind to it.

i would suggest seeing a LC about your LO's latch and suck.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I worked w/ an LC, which I too would strongly encourage you to do too. 

From her instructions - for the first couple weeks, I pumped every 2 hours from 6 am to 10 pm then every 3 hours during the night.  This is to help get your supply up.  And for me- it worked. While I was EPing (which was for about 5 or 6 weeks), I was producing TONS of milk. 

But it was hard.  Very very hard.  Eventually, I was able to cut back on the amount of pumps.  I can't remember when, though. 

Periodically, I would try DS on the breast and he still wasn't sucking well.  So I went for about 3 weeks "giving up" on BFing and about ready to just commit to EPing.  But around week 6, I tried "one last time" and he took right to it w/ no problem.  And I've been able to BF ever since.

Once I was able to nurse, I realized how much work EPing is and I was SOOOOOO glad I ended up being able to nurse after all. 

And for the record, DS was full term.  6 days late, actually.  So...  my advice is to see an LC.  It was truly a lifesaver for me.  And don't give up!  It could take a couple weeks, but you may very well get to a point where your LO will be ready and aable to successfully nurse.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Oh, also.  I pumped for 20 - 25 mins per session.  Pump BOTH sides at the same time if you can!  My LC stressed this and I have also read that pumping both at once actually helps your supply.  There were times I could only do one at a time (alone w/ DS and needed to have a free hand to deal w/ him), but as much as I could, I double pumped.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I EP for my twins, and it has been just fine for me!  At first, it was sad to have to let go of the nursing part, but it was great to have help from my husband for night feedings! :) 

I rented a pump from the hospital (or you could ask your pedi.) and that was the best thing for me- it's a Medela double.  At first, I pumped every 3 hours around the clock for 15-20 min. to establish a good supply. Once that was established then I pumped at the same time (or right after) the boys ate. 

Now, they are 4 months old, and I pump while feeding them in the morning, twice at work during the day, once when I get home and once after they go to bed.  Pumping at the same time as feeding is easy when using a boppy or pillow (I tuck the "horns" into my bra - I didn't get a hands free one, but they are available).  I feed babies at least 2x/day without pumping, so I feel like I get the "feeding" experience a little bit. 

It is time consuming and sometimes sucky, but it's important for ME to BF my boys and worth the savings in formula! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"