South Florida Babies
Options

My Abuela & the Swine Flu (no she does not have it)

So, my grandparents barely leave their house. If they do its to go to the fabric store, the grocery store, or my mom's house. Regardless if that, my mom called to tell me that my grandmother is all freaked out that the swine flu is going to come to her house and get her. Meanwhile, she does not go anywhere! It makes me wonder what on earth the sensational spanish TV stations are saying.

Did you also hear that we cannot call it Swine Flu anymore? Because some thousands of people have stopped buying pork thinking you can get it from eating pork now its the N1H1 virus or something like that.

My company has a pandemic program in place for things like this. Who is essential to day to day activities, what vendors are critical, etc. We may actually have to use it this time.

Its a little surreal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My Abuela & the Swine Flu (no she does not have it)

• Options

Awwww your grandparents are so cute! Yeah the spanish stations are super sensational when it comes to this stuff, almost as bad as Channel 7. Dude THEY must be LOVING this crap.

I really think the media is making this a lot bigger than it really is. They love to create hype about something that is nothing.

• Options

OMG!!! My mom was saying how you're not suppose to shake someone's hand anymore (according to spanish news).  I'm like OK mom, were not in Mexico and it hasn't hit S. FL. 

I think the media needs something to liven up their ratings and right now its the swine flu.  Sooner or later it will be the # of ppl drowning in pools or shark bites.  It happens every summer.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

This is what my grandmother calls it:

Le enfermedad do los puercos de mierda 

Translation - the sickness of the pigs of sh!t 

A little humor from cuban grandmothers :) 

image image

• Options

It's crazy cause they are making people freak out more than they should.  Remember the years we've had hurricanes - they live for that stuff.  I'm hoping we don't get any this year either, but I'm sure that they'll totally blow out of proportion any little storm we get during hurricane season this year.

I read this morning that the Egyptian government decreed on Wednesday that on farmer's pigs, along with all 300,000 pigs in the country, had to be slaughtered as a precaution against the spread swine flu. CRAZY!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here's a helpful website to view the current stats on it:

https://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

• Options
    My DH said a lot of people are wearing surgical masks on the subway here. The media got the public all riled up!
  • Options
    it's really getting crazy...i told my parents last night that all we need now is for bruce willis to come and save us with a antidote lol
  • Options
    imageMrsLeanna:

This is what my grandmother calls it:

Le enfermedad do los puercos de mierda 

Translation - the sickness of the pigs of sh!t 

A little humor from cuban grandmothers :) 

LMAO!

• Options

Well, there is a supposed case in Broward county, and samples have been sent to the CDC for confirmation. 

the whole "not shaking hands" or coughing into your arm thing is something that people should do to avoid ANY sort of contamination, even the common cold. 

And yeah, there is this mob mentality, but in my opinion, better to be safe than sorry.  No need to sensationalize anything, but in many cases people need to know that it's serious and if freaking people otu (without it reaching panic mode) will get them to act responsibly, then I think it's necessary.  Like hurricanes-  they're incredibly serious, they aren't as predictable as people think they are, and yet people don't prepare when a storm comes. I guess because I had family whose home was completely levelled during Andrew, I take every hurricane as if it will destroy everything around me!  lol

• Options

imageANJ410:
    My DH said a lot of people are wearing surgical masks on the subway here. The media got the public all riled up!

My friend went to Chili's here in Coral Gables and saw two older people wearing masks..... umm.....

• Options
    imageMRS.IHEARTMIKE:

imageANJ410:

My friend went to Chili's here in Coral Gables and saw two older people wearing masks..... umm.....

yeah, that same stuff happened during the Avian Flu... but I think a lot more people had died because of that strain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"