Breastfeeding

WTH? Supply tank?

The last two weeks or so I have only been getting half of the milk I usually pump during the day.  At the most half.  While I was at work I would pump about 5 oz three times a day and at least 5-10oz in the morning before I would leave for work.  Yesterday I pumped about 10oz total, maybe 12.  What is going on?  I haven't done anything different than I usually do.  I'm still drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of protein and oatmeal.  I haven't started a diet either.  I had a time when DD was about 3 months that my supply dipped randomly for about a week and went back up.  This time is longer and I have no idea why.

Any ideas?

Re: WTH? Supply tank?

• swap out your pump parts?
    Health&Fitness Blog imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Our IVF miracles!
  • The parts I use for work are less than 2 months old.  I will swap the ones I use for at home in the morning though.  Those are as old as DD.
  • Loading the player...
  • When my supply tanked i was pregnant again!  Or right before i got AF
  • I had a BIG dip at 5 1/2 months.  No real explanation, but I was able to get back on track.  Instead of fenugreek, I took More Milk Plus.  It worked really well for me.  Also, I started making sure I pumped through a second let down.  Have you tried breast massage and compression during pumping?  That also helps me, and I started doing it with that big dip.  Finally, has AF come back?  I have a dip for about four days or so right before that.
  • imagepeanutontheway:

The last two weeks or so I have only been getting half of the milk I usually pump during the day.  At the most half.  While I was at work I would pump about 5 oz three times a day and at least 5-10oz in the morning before I would leave for work.  Yesterday I pumped about 10oz total, maybe 12.  What is going on?  I haven't done anything different than I usually do.  I'm still drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of protein and oatmeal.  I haven't started a diet either.  I had a time when DD was about 3 months that my supply dipped randomly for about a week and went back up.  This time is longer and I have no idea why.

Any ideas?

I'm experiencing the same thing.  My power boob now is pumping half as much as it used to.  And my milk dud is unchanged.  I'm struggling to pump the 18 oz I need to send to daycare.  DH wants to supplement, but I'm worried that will exacerbate the supply problem.

I'm thinking my supply is affected by some combination of recovering from mastitis 2 weeks ago, being on antibiotics for mastitis, recently weaning DS from the nipple shield, and being generally run down.  DS is waking every 2 hours to nurse, so I'm sleeping very little right now, maybe a total of 3-4 hours a night.

I'm continuing with fenugreek (not much help), tons of water, and protein bars.  I can't stand oatmeal, so unless I make some cookies this week, no oatmeal for me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"