Breastfeeding

Growth spurt or low supply?

Whats the problem?

DS has been needing to feed less than 2 hours at a time, to the point that if I nurse him, then pump, the next time I nurse he gets unsatisfied and I have to supplement.

He has been sttn since he was 3 months old, but tonight I'm up feeding him.

He seems to have trouble staying on my boob, especially the right one.

These last couple of days he has been fussy in general unless sleeping or eating. Fussiness is pretty unusual for him. He usually only fusses for food.

The other night he ate 9 oz while I was out for two hours. I nursed him before I left. Usually he doesn't even need a bottle while I'm gone.

I feel like this has midly been going on for well over a week, and more severely since the weekend.

Re: Growth spurt or low supply?

• i would guess growth spurt... this is sort of what i am going thru now too (our babies are the same age!).  not the extra sleeping part but definitely the trouble staying on my boob (for me it is the left).  i worry i am not making enough during the growth spurt and she won't take a bottle, so we're just muddling thru......  i know technically i should be able to make enough to match what she needs, but i'm not sure.  it's been a bit challenging... hopefully just a phase for them!
  • Could be a growth spurt.  Could also be that he started teething -- is he drooling a lot?  I know it's early, but DS started well before the teeth actually came through.  That would explain why he's fussy unless he's nursing.  Also, DS had some sleeping issues around 4 months, so that could explain why he's up at night when he hasn't been before. 

Have you tried not pumping after you nurse to see if he is still unsatisfied the next feeding?  If he's feeding those closely together, it may be that you don't have time to produce enough for the next feeding when you completely empty your breast when he doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"