Pregnant after 35

Amnio Risks?

I've head various stats about the risk of miscarriage from an amnio ranging from 1/1000 to 1/300.  I'm just curious if any of you happen to know anyone who actually had a miscarriage because of an amnio.  I know it must happen but I don't know anyone and neither do my friends so I'm really curious.

Also, I read in one of the comments below something about fibroids causing more risk for miscarriage in amnio.  Is this true?  Do you know any details on this?  I'm curious because I have one large fibroid (grapefruit size) under my left pubic bone and a few smaller ones floating around on the top....

Thanks everyone!

Re: Amnio Risks?

• The risks vary depending on the doc performing the procedure, too. My doc has never had a miscarriage due to an amnio so I felt really confident when I had mine. Sorry....I am no help with the fibroid issue as I've never experienced them. Hopefully someone else can weigh in.

• I have a little fibroid festival going on. ?I meant to ask my doctor yesterday about amnio, I am not sure how I forgot but I did. ?I'll be calling his office tomorrow to ask and see. ?
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I am interested in these answers as well.... I have about a month to decide on Amnio and I too have a couple of fibroids.. on top of being AMA!

I do intend to shop around for the "best" person available to do the procedure.. if we decide to go ahead with it.   I think that makes a big difference.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OBs office has had one miscarriae in 1 years , the woman did it late and was not well. They do about 70 a year, it is a large practice in LI and I felt comfortable with those stats and I am fien fro mmine too :0) GL
  • I don't have any numbers regarding fibroids, but I think they an be a problem - I knew someone who had a few and had them removed. I know fertility was an issue for her - not sure if it helped or hurt that - but I know it really affected her cylces. She had very long heavy periods before having them removed, so I imagine it was a good thing (IF-wise) for her to do. I would ask on the success after TCC boards.

• I just had my amnio 2 weeks ago and my OB who did the procedure never had a patient miscarry - he is the head of the OB dept at our hospital and I really trust him. I did quite a bit of research on my own and the stats are a much lower risk than once thought.

The procedure was much easier than expected and I just got my results back today that all is good!!

Good luck with yours and hope this helped!

• Well, I have some information that should be helpful.  I am 20 weeks now and had an amnio a week ago.  I also have fibroids, quite a few, but none larger than 5 cm.    I was told by my doctor that the fibroids affected fertility but this was after I was pregnant :)  she said that they would not affect the pregnancy.   As far as the amnio, you want to go to someone who does them on a regular basis.  I went through a genetic center and the doctor performs them every day.   I asked about the misscarriage stats and she told me that in the 5 years she worked at the genetic center, there had been 1 miscarriage and the woman was already having issues with the baby and it is unlikely that the amnio caused it.  I decided that the risk was low enough that it was worth taking the test. I am happy to report that the test came back clear and I am having a girl.  The peace of mind is really nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"