Breastfeeding

XP: HELP: WIll anyone elses LO only go to sleep if nursing?

And how do you break this habit? My LO will only go to sleep if I am nursing him, so it seems like he is nursing every hour of the day and is starting to wear on me. He fights me so bad and screams if I don't nurse him when he is tired. He also wakes up as soon as I put him down after he falls asleep while I am nursing him. I need help! This is wearing me out physically, mentally, and emotionally. Anyone know how to break him from this?

Thanks

Re: XP: HELP: WIll anyone elses LO only go to sleep if nursing?

• Natalie did this too.  I think yours is still too young to start the self-soothing/sleep training, so I'd think about offering him a paci if you feel he's just comfort sucking, and not actually eating.  But keep in mind, that at his age, it's still common to cluster feed, especially at night, so as tiring as it is (it is tough, I've been there), try to let him nurse as much as he wants.  If you want a break, you could have your DH offer a few ounces of EBM, to see if he's really hungry, or just wants to suck. Your pedi or LC might have some suggestions as well.

Good luck!

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • I would also recommend a paci. I would nurse her until she was just about asleep or barely asleep and then break the suction and quickly replace my nipple with the paci. We would rock for a few more minutes with the paci in and then lay her down with the paci still in. Every few nights I'd start putting the paci in earlier (always after she was done with active nursing and just comfort sucking) until she was drowsy but still awake when she finished nursing and then took the paci on her own. So yes, she's still being rocked to sleep, but she will go to sleep rocking with the paci instead of only nursing so DH can cuddle and rock her to sleep when needed.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it's tiring, but the first step is realizing that at that age it is very normal!  You are still in the cluster feeding stage and the stage where they want to and should be held and fed a lot.

It will be over soon!

Nursing to sleep is not a bad habit.  After your LO falls asleep carry him around in a baby carrier until he's in a deep sleep and then try to lay him down.  Or break suction, rock for a while and then lay him down.  Keep trying and eventually he will catch on.

https://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/comfortnursing.html

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, mine does.  I just let him do it until the past week, when I started the No Cry Sleep Solution.  (Nursing to sleep didn't really bother me when DS was that little.) 

If it's wearing you out, though, one of the big parts of the book is about breaking the sucking/sleeping association.  There's a section in that book for newborns through 4 months, but I didn't read it since DS is 9 months old.  The tips for older babies have already helped us, and we are all sleeping better.  Check it out and see what it has to offer for your little guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"