Breastfeeding

Question regarding BM & Formula???

I started DS in daycare this past Monday and I send him five bottles filled with 4 oz. each.  His teachers say after each bottle, he is wanting more and he starts crying.  I can only pump four oz. a time on one breast and about two on the other.  One of the teachers suggested that I add one scoop of formula to his breast milk to make 6 oz.  I don't know if I should do this or not, so I need help.  Do any of you moms mix breast milk and formula?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. 

Thanks!

Re: Question regarding BM & Formula???

• He only needs 1 ounce per hour of seperation. He'
    s eating so much because he wants to suck and milk comes out so quickly. Tell them to give him a pacifier after he eats.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Can you maybe try just making 6oz bottles of bm and sending fewer? Maybe if he is getting more in a feeding then he will want to eat less often.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Loading the player...
  • My "mommy brain" isn't working, I shouldn't thought about this.  I will definitely try this.  I might start out with four, 6 oz bottles.  I am just confused on the bottle making.  I wish I could just feed him myself each time, but that isn't possible. 

Thanks!

• We supplement w/ formula.  If you try this, you mix the formula as directed, THEN add it to the BM.  Don't just put a scoop of powder into the BM.  You still mix it w/ water first.

DS gets about 4 - 4.5 oz BM and 1 - 2 oz of formula in each bottle.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Great!  Thanks for the tip.  Does ds notice a difference?
  • He's away from his momma in a scary new place. I'd want to eat a lot too! My DD sucked down the bottles the first week. I had no clue how I was going to keep up with her demands. Soon she found other forms of comfort and got used to the new routine and slowed down with the eating.

The teachers need to step it up and find other ways to comfort your DS. I'm not sure how long you are apart, but 5 bottles sounds like a lot. Even if he was eating every 2 hours, he shouldn't need that many. I would discuss other ways to comfort your child with the teachers.

Are you able to nurse him when you drop him off? I know a lot of mom's get to daycare 20 minutes early or so and nurse their LO when they get there so they aren't wanting a bottle as soon as mom leaves.

Are you using slow flow nipples? Did you introduce a bottle prior to starting daycare? Was he satisfied with 4oz in those bottles?

You can continue to EBF. There is no need to supplement with formula.

• Don't let the teachers/caregivers tell you what to do.  You tell them what to do.  It agree with the previous posts...it sounds like he is eating all day for comfort.  Make sure they are spending enough time holding him besides when they are feeding him (I know it's hard in a daycare with a lot of kids).

This is a great site to read and also to print for your caregivers.  Many caregivers do not understand breastfed babies as they do formula fed babies (unfortunately).

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageesutton76:
    Great!  Thanks for the tip.  Does ds notice a difference?
    Heck no!  Just the other night- I BFed him once I got home.  I could tell he was still hungry, but as my supply sucks in the evening, I decided to give him 2 oz of formula.  He ate that down like a champ - right after having just been BFed. 

He takes food anyway he can and in any form he can. :-)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My son behaves the same way.  He's not crying because he's hungry, but because he wants to suckle.  I cuddle him for a little while, and give him a paci if necessary.  He usually calms down after a minute.
  • We do supplement because no matter how I try I can't feed both of my boys pure BM!  They get 6 oz BM and 1 oz formula in each bottle.  They are pretty picky and if we have even amts of BM and formula, they won't drink it very well but if we add just a little amt. of formula, they can't tell the difference.

I agree with pps saying that YOU need to be the one who decides whether or not to feed your baby more - you are the mommy after all!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"