Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Joining the Club :(

Hi everyone.

My name is Amy and found out this morning at 12 weeks that the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks.  This was our first pregnancy.  I am scheduled for a D&C on Friday.  I am pretty nervous about that as I have never really had anything like that done.  I know we will get through this and the doctor says we can start trying again in two months.

Just a few questions:

If you had a D&C, what was the recovery time if any?

How soon did your normal menstrual cycle start up?  the only thing getting me through at this point is thinking ahead to when we can try again.

Thanks and I am truly sorry for all of your losses. 

Re: Joining the Club :(

• Welcome, although I am sorry you are joining.  I had my D & C 2 1/2 weeks ago, I felt better after a couple days.  Emotionally though, I am still healing.  Some days are better than others.  I havent gotten my period yet, went to the dr yesterday for my 2 week follow up and she said it could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks.
  • I am sorry for your loss.  I have had 2 d and c's.  The recovery time physically for me was short.  My first was at 7 weeks.  I got my period 24 days later.  My 2nd was at 15 weeks.  It took much longer (40+ days) to get AF. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the response and I am sorry for your loss.
  • I am very sorry for your loss. Ours is a club that no one wants to join.

Both of my D&Cs were pretty easy. For my first, I started miscarrying normally and had to have an emergency D&C because things were not goign well--that was much harder. This one was much easier, at least so far.

I got my period abotu 5 weeks after my first D&C.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So sorry you have to be here. ?None of us want to be here but are all glad we have a place to come.

I had a D&C on 4/20. ?It wasn't too bad at all. ?The emotional part was harder than the physical part by far. ?One thing that I didn't realize is that about 3 days after I had some awful cramping & bleeding. ?That seems consistent for a few ladies here - just so you are aware.

I am just starting the wait for AF so we'll see. ?Good luck?

• Welcome I am sorry you have to be here.  The physical part of my D & C was fine...and quick.  A lot of times in the beginning few days is less painful then 3-4 days in.  It took me 50 days to see AF.  Is your Dr going to check betas?  It seems the sooner your HCG returns to non pregnant levels the sooner you see AF.
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  This is truly a club you never want to join, but you are right, you will get through this. 

I had my D&C in the late afternoon and went to a full day of work on my feet the next day with no physical problems (emotional, on the other hand, is whole other story).  Currently waiting for my period, but it's too early yet.  From what my doctor said and what I've read, there's a wide range of normal after a D&C.  My doctor said I could start trying again once I got my first period.  I want to fast-forward to then. 

• Thanks everyone for the responses.  Its comforting to hear from people going through similiar situations.

I wish you all the best and look forward to getting to know you all and giving and getting support here.

• I'm so sorry for your loss and that you have to be here. ?I don't know anything because I'm still new at this. ?But I'm hoping your D&C goes well and that you are able to heal quickly from it.
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my D&C a week and a half ago. It was very unexpected, but it wasn't bad. I was put to sleep,woke up,came home and went to bed. The next couple days I laid in bed or on the couch because I did have some cramping. It wasn't bad...just uncomfortable.  Nothing that a heating pad and Advil couldn't fix!  I teach, so I had taken that week off just to get energy back and get my emotions in check. Now, I'm great and waiting for AF. My two week check up is next week, so I am anxiously awaiting to see how things are going!

I am sorry for your loss and from what I've been told from many others over the last week....things will get better.....and I'm shocked by how many friends and co workers have gone through the same thing! It's nice to have people to talk to!  Good luck and you have a lot of support on this board!

• I'm sorry you are having to join the club. It's not a very good club to be in. Sorry for your loss.

My D&C was 2 weeks ago and as far as recovery goes, I felt like myself about a week after the procedure. I am still spotting but it's very minimal. I did have some pretty intense bleeding and cramping about 3 days after the procedure but I never had to take the pain medicine they gave me.

I'm not sure when my period will show. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

((Big Hugs))

• I'm so sorry. I was feeling fine 2 days after my D&C. A little cramping and soreness for less than a week afterwards. I did spot for 3 weeks afterwards, which sucked big time. And I started my period 5 wks after my D&C. Good luck!
  • I"m so sorry you have to be here.  I was at 12 weeks (4/10/09) also and found out my baby was only 9weeks.  I had a D&C a couple days later.  It was very easy. they put you out and I was just a little tired the rest of the day.  They may put you on medication to contract your uterus back to prepregnancy size, make sure you take all of it!  :-)  they also gave me pain medicine but I really didn't need much of it.  the bleeding was also alot less than I thought it was.  It really just felt like a slightly more painful AF.  The emotional part was the hardest which I still deal with.  

The ladies here are all amazing, it's a wonderful group of women. 

• i am so sorry you have had to join us here. your experience is almost identical to mine. i started bleeding at 11w6d.  i went in at 12w and found out the baby stopped growing around 8w. the d&c was not too bad at all. the iv was the worst part. i bled for about 3.5w afterwards- some people bleed for a lot shorter period of time. there was some cramping off and on for about a week. physically healing was a lot easier than emotionally healing. i am still waiting for af and it has been over 4w. my cycles were long anyways. welcome to the board. this is a great place for support. things do get easier a little every day. hang in there.
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  This is a difficult club to join but I am so glad I had these women here when I miscarried I could not have gotten through the ordeal without their friendship and support.  I had a D&C on March 9th it is went well and I took about three days off work to recover.  I physically recovered in about a day and but needed some emotional recovery from work for another two days.  By the next week at my post-op with the doctor he said my lining had returned to normal and I should expect my period in about three weeks.  It took about three weeks for the hormones to settle down and I started feeling better emotionally.  My period arrived about six weeks after my D&C.  It took that long to feel up to TTC so I am glad I had the time to heal emotionally.  We are trying again and I am praying for a healthier pregnancy this time around. We are always here for you! Sending you lots of hugs and support!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hi Amy, I'm sorry for you loss!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"