North Carolina Babies
Options

Cry It out or No Cry Method...

Jack has never been goood for going to sleep on his own...we usually hold him till he crashes or rock him and put him down. He was doing good at staying asleep when we put him down, but now he will wake right up when we lay him down in the bed....its getting to be so frustrating...so now after seeing this post about Jenhum trying CIO with maddie last nite...It got me thinking that we need to get this sleep thing figured out with Jack cuz sleepign with mommy just isn't gonna work forever. Some of the nites he does stay asleep when we put him down in the crib he wakes up and when i go in to give his paci he's pulled himself up on the crib so then he's really awake. I dunno if Cry It Out or No Cry Method is best for us. Any feedback or advice from people who have tried either of these to help me figure out whats best!! Thanks!
imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Cry It out or No Cry Method...

• Options

I don't know much about the No Cry Method, but I don't think it would have ever worked for us. ?I don't know how to teach a baby to go to sleep on its own without some crying - but as I said, I know nothing of the method. ?We only did a modified CIO, but my DD at least needed to cry a few minutes before bed. ?Its how she winds down. ?I know it is not super helpful, but you just need to find the method that works for you and your baby.

We ended up letting her cry for a set time and then would go up and soothe her, but not rock her to sleep. ?My DD would also make herself puke if she got too upset, so we had to dance a fine line to make sure she didn't go that far. ?She quickly figured it out on her own and it wasn't too too traumatizing on either of us after that first night.

• Options
    we did ferber at 5.5 months, and i swear, he's my hero. it worked for us in 2 days (henry's a REALLY laid back baby though). it didn't traumatize me or him, and i wondered why we didn't do it sooner. he's been an excellent sleeper ever since!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    by no cry Im referring to Baby Whisperer. I havent gotten either book...just reading online.
  • Options
    I think I would try any no-cry methods you can first. But if those don't work, I'm all for trying CIO (although I suck at it! lol). Babies need sleep to be happy and healthy, so even though it is so hard to listen to them cry, you're really doing them a favor by teaching them to be good sleepers. As long as they are old enough of course, which Jack is!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We did Ferber at 4.5 Months and it worked like a charm!
  • Options
    is Solve Your Child's sleep problems the Ferber method book?
  • Options

imageakspriss:
    is Solve Your Child's sleep problems the Ferber method book?

yes. seriously, it was a godsend for us. we were having issues with putting henry down once he fell asleep, and the night that bedtime took 3 hours was my breaking point. now, we start our bedtime routine at 7:30, and he;s sleeping by 8:30 (that includes 2 books, bath, nurse, and at least 15 minutes of naked playtime).

• Options
    We did CIO around 4 months b/c we were at wits end and none of us were getting any sleep.  I read Ferber, the Sleep Easy Solution and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and just sort of developed my own method.  The Ferber type "checks" stimulated her more so we really did more of the Extinction method from HSHHC.  It was hard but I don't regret it at all.  Camryn is a really good sleeper now.  We hit a few bumps with the passy thing too.  But once she learned to self soothe and go to sleep on her own, roll to her belly around 5 months and then learn to find one of the passies in her crib around 6 months, we've have the majority of night STTN!!!! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    You might want to check a few books out from the library and get a feel for them before you decide what method you want to try.  I started with the "No Cry Sleep Solution" but it just would never have worked with a baby like Liam.  I also read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", Ferber, and "Sleeping Through the Night" by Jodi Mindell.  I kind of formed my own method off of Ferber and Mindell's.  She had a bit of a gentler approach, starting with bedtime, then nighttime, then naptime, rather than doing it all at once.  We did this, and it worked well for us.  I used Ferber's intervals for checking him.  It's hard, so it's important to be 110% commited to your plan before you start, because if you give up halfway through, then it was all for nothing!  GL!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a similar problem with Natalie -- I'd put her down in ther crib asleep and she'd wake up the minute I'd put her down, I'd pick her back up, she'd go to sleep, and awake when I put her down.  I read "No Cry.." and didn't find anything in it useful for Natalie; same with HSHHC.  We ended up using Sleep Easy Solutions (interval checks with CIO) and it worked like a charm.  She's been STTN since 5.5 mo (minus some bumps in the road here and there).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"