Boston Babies
Options

News to Boston: Mt. Auburn hospital and others?

Hi all - I'm going to be moving to Boston at about 21 weeks, and haven't yet picked a hospital.  Before I move, I need to make an insurance decision that will affect my choices once I get there.  What do people know about Mt. Auburn?  I need to decide whether to get cheaper insurance that will limit me to going there. 

Also, what are the other hospitals that are known to be "good" (for lack of a better word) in the downtown Boston/Cambridge/Brookline area?

Thanks for any help!!  It is scary to move in the middle...

Re: News to Boston: Mt. Auburn hospital and others?

• Options
    Oops - I meant "new to Boston" :)
  • Options

I have several friends that had their baby at Mt Auburn and really liked it.  I am delivering at Newton Wellesley which is supposed to be really great(it is right outside of boston).  I go to Welleseley Women's Care for my ob (Dr Devries).  In Boston Beth Isreal and Brigham and Women's are supposed to be the best for delivery although B&W can be bit of a factory. Both are teaching hospitals so be prepared to be seen by many different Drs.  Hope that helps

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know much about Mt. Auburn but will say it is not one of those hospitals people talk about as a great hospital--and there are so many fabulous hospitals in Boston I think I would not want to be limited to it.  I will be at Newton Wellesley, they are known for their Labor and Delivery. 
  • Options
    The other day, I went to Dr. Amy McGaraghan at Mt. Auburn Hospital for a preconception appointment, and I really liked her.  She really took the time to answer all my questions thoroughly and sit down and talk to me.  In the waiting room, I asked a very pregnant woman about her experience with the practice, and she was very happy there!  She delivered her first baby at Mt. Auburn.
  • Options
    A friend of mine lost her baby at Mt. Auburn due to hospital error. They are now involved in a law suit. I would not recommend them AT ALL. Good luck with your move.
  • Options
    I don't know about Mount Auburn personally, but my OB moved to Mount Auburn after my son was born, and I'd recommend her.  Her name is Germaine Earle-Cruickshanks.  I was really disappointed when she moved - Mount Auburn is just too far for me to travel this time around!
  • Options
    Brighma and Women's and Beth Israel are great. ?Mass General is very well known too. ?All of these (as well as Mt Auburn) are affiliated with Harvard. ?Boston medical center is affiliated with BU, I dont know much about their labor/delivery, but they're the best place in the city for trauma/ED stuff, and I'm sure they're great in other areas as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rissa06rissa06 member
    i used to live in Boston and also wouldn't recommend Mt. Auburn Hospital . . I know my OB/GYN was out of the Brigham's system and we had a wonderful experience there.
  • Options

I'm delivering at Mt. Auburn and have been thrilled with my overall experience so far.  I started out at their Center for Women and wasn't thrilled with them so I switched to Dr. Beth Hardiman who is FANTASTIC.  I have several friends who have delivered at MAH and have been very happy with the personal attention they received from the staff.

My husband ended up being admitted to MAH for a medical condition several months ago and we were very impressed with everyone we came in contact with between the ER and the staff on the surgery floor where he stayed.  They paid me just as much attention as they did to him (getting me room service, letting me stay beyond visiting hours, etc.)  The whole time we were there we kept saying how happy we were that I will be delivering there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"