North Carolina Babies

Hey Bobsbride

How has work been this week with the Swine Flu hanging around?  Do you guys have lots of patients coming in to get tested?

Re: Hey Bobsbride

• DH and I are off 4 days this week (was supposed to be for our anniversary, but now just time for him to recover from his surgery). This weekend I saw lots of patients asking about Swine Flu. I hate when the media blows this stuff out of proportion and causes panic. The US strain of the virus hasn't killed anyone yet. The 23 month old who died in TX today was flown in from Mexico for treatment (thus, had the Mexican strain of the virus). There is no test available in the ER for swine flu (Influenza A may come back positive or negative but only some ER's have Influenza tests) and Tamiflu ?*might* work against it. Too bad Tamiflu is very expensive. People don't understand that it's a virus and has to run it's course. . treatment is supportive (the media never puts this part out). Nobody mentions that the regular flu kills people in the US every year. ?So now, the ER's, which are overcrowded with people getting primary care since they no longer have insurance (due to losing their job), are now even more crowded with people thinking they have the swine flu. And then they yell at me that they've waited 2 hours because they have had a cold for 1 week. Monday night was horrible and I got yelled at by patients all night long. I even stayed 2 hours after my shift to help out. Sorry so long, you've hit a sore spot =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry about that :)  I figured that was the case.  Hopefully this runs its course soon and everyone can relax a little.

That sucks that they yell at you.  You should just know when you are going ot the ER you are going to have to wait.  It's the ER.

Hopefully both you and DH are getting some rest now!

• Loading the player...
  • I hate the way the media is treating this too.  They had a doctor on the radio this morning that was explaining those very same things.  It's the flu, it acts like any other flu.  It's just called swine flu because of it's history, but it has the same symptoms and is treated the same way.  And the reason so many people have died in MX is because they don't have good health care.  I feel so bad for you and other people in the health industry.  It's all just nuts.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"