3rd Trimester

5 lb baby at 33 weeks, is that really big?

My cousin was put on bed rest because her baby is 5 lbs at 33 weeks. Is that considered really big? I do know she has GD.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 5 lb baby at 33 weeks, is that really big?

• They say the baby is supposed to gain a pound a week toward to the end so I'd say 5 lbs already means it's going to be a big one.
  • at 28 weeks baby was almost 4lb.

I have an u/s wed to check size at 34w. There is no mention of bed rest.

DD measured the same way. maybe there is another reason.

• Loading the player...
  • All my "weekly" emails for 34 weeks said the baby was around 5lbs. - so being 5lbs. at 33 weeks doesn't seem that far fetched, there is probably another reason.
  • At 32 weeks, my LO was 4 lbs 4 oz. and the doc said that he was in the 53rd percentile. Those u/s machines can be up to 1 pound off. Even so, they may have her go back for another u/s in a couple weeks to check again.

• Our baby measured 5 lbs at 33 weeks as well. My Dr said its normal. Im not on bedrest (still hiking the dogs) but dont have GD. Maybe the GD is why she is on bedrest? I dont know. Best of luck to her!
  • My doc has never mentioned anything about the baby's weight.  Only that I'm 'measuring perfectly' when she measures my belly...  I wish I knew how much they expect my LO weighs right now!
  • My baby is weighing at 5lbs 5oz right now and it puts her into the 61st percentile. I also have GD and i'm not on bedrest.

• My baby weighs 6lbs 11 ounces as of yesterday....
  • my baby weighed 5 lb 8 oz at 34 weeks and he was in the 54th percentile - so totally average. i would think 5 lbs at 33 weeks is normal.
  • imageMauranda & Shane:
    My doc has never mentioned anything about the baby's weight.  Only that I'm 'measuring perfectly' when she measures my belly...  I wish I knew how much they expect my LO weighs right now!

This is what my doctor does as well....it's kind of aggrevating.  I have an appointment on Friday and I've decided I'm going to ask what he guestimates the size is based off of my measurements.  I'd like to have at least a little bit of an idea how big my LO is!

• Mine was 3 1/2 at 33 weeks and dr said that was on the big side
  • Mine was 5 lbs even at 33 weeks. That is on the big side, though puts her at 8 1/2 lbs at birth. Not too huge IMO.
  • My baby measured at approximately 5 pounds, 8 oz at my 32 week growth scan (8 pounds, 2 oz at my 37 week scan). He's huge, but I haven't been put on bed rest. There may be other factors contributing to her doctors making that decision.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDennisandStephanie:

imageMauranda & Shane:
    My doc has never mentioned anything about the baby's weight.  Only that I'm 'measuring perfectly' when she measures my belly...  I wish I knew how much they expect my LO weighs right now!

This is what my doctor does as well....it's kind of aggrevating.  I have an appointment on Friday and I've decided I'm going to ask what he guestimates the size is based off of my measurements.  I'd like to have at least a little bit of an idea how big my LO is!

My docs have told me that statistically, mothers are a close 2nd to ultrasounds as far as guessing baby's weight.  And even ultrasounds can be off.  I don't worry so much about the weight of my baby for two reasons:

1. with my first child I was told that she was 8 lbs at 38 weeks and was encouraged by my dr. to induce around the due date because of DS' size.  I ended up sheduling an induction and had to have a c-section due to fetal distress.....DS ended up being 7 lbs 12 oz when born....there's NO WAY she was 8 lbs at 38 weeks

2. with my last baby we all thought he was going to be at least 9 lbs......he ended up weighing 8 lbs 2 oz. and was born a week late

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"