Baby Names

And the 5 name battle rages on...

I posted forever back about the battle between DH and I and whether or not this kid needs to have 5 names.  DH has 4 and has had no issue with it, so why not stick on another one.  The Clinton has to be there, part of his family history.  The other two middles are grandparent's name... one from each side.  I think he should give up his grandfather's name as an option since we're using that side's Clinton, but whatever.  I'm looking for opinions on what people think on the order, since its a mouthful.  If you wouldn't mind voting that'd be wonderful.  TIA!

VOTE on my Name List
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: And the 5 name battle rages on...

• oh geeze.

are you guys planning on having more kids.  any way you can "save" these sames for the 2nd??

I couldn't vote.  There is too many names for me.

• I'm for it, but DH is worried he won't get his names in if we have two of the same gender.  I guess I'm being stubborn in wanting to use my mn choice first since he automatically gets the Clinton.  I think I might lose this one and have to wait on my mn choices to get it down to four names.  Blah.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would only use Clinton as the middle name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What!? You have to use it on the girls too?????
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My head is spinning just looking at those names.  I voted thumbs down on all of them.  I'm confused about what the last name is or if they are all first/middle names.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I'm sorry, but 5 names is ridiculous for a little kid. I'm with you: if one side of the family is represented by Clinton, then one of the names should be dropped.

And just an FYI....the Social Security Administration actually has a limitation on the number of letters in a name. My nephew has 4 names (FN, MN, and 2 last names) and when my brother submitted his SSA paperwork, he got a phone call saying that his name was too long, and that one of the names must be dropped. I'm not sure if his name is still technically listed as 4 names with the SSA, but his SS card only had room for 3 names (one of which is ridiculously long).

• Are you sure you can't get it down to 3 or (at the max) 4? Is this going to be your only child? Because if not, then you could just use each name once for each child.

It is your baby too, and you have need to like this LO's name. ?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• No

5 is too many names. 

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • wallace! I miss that being my last name...it was my maiden name :(
  • Ok, I respect family names and trying to include everyone, but all I can say is 'that poor kid'. ?:-( ?I voted for the boys names but i honestly can't choose a girls name at all knowing that she would have five names. For some reason, as a boy, it's not as bad, but for a girl - I couldn't do it at all. ?I also wasn't sure if Amelie was supposed to sound like "Emilie" or "Amelia" minus the 'a'...??
    ?
    I do have a friend with 2 middle names, so he has 4 names total. After we were confirmed in high school (Catholic), he also chose a Confirmation name that I would jokingly add in when he was 'in trouble'... so maybe that is why a 5 name boys name doesn't sound so ridiculous to me, but it WAS a joke. ?:-/ ?
  • I have to vote No on all of them. it is just crazy....

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    Even if there weren't so many names, I don't like any of the first names. Is Britton pronounced Britain?
  • We decided to do grandfathers names for middle names of my son and it worked out well. But we hardly ever use it. It isn't often that we ever need to.

Our son's name is Isaaq (my husbands grandfather) Robert (my dad)Amanuallah(my husband's dad) (last name).

Honestly, if it honors everyone and the SSA has no problem with it, I say do whatever you feel comfortable with. Don't worry about what everyone else has to say. It won't be used often. Good luck.

• There was one girl in school that had a bunch of middle names...she did unfortunately get made fun of for it.

I would definitely try to limit them.  Although it's nice to honor family members, maybe you can honor both sides by using one name per side.  For instance, if we have a girl the first name will be Eva after my grandmother and middle name Fae after DH's grandmother.  This way both sides are equally noted.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • I personally think anything over 4 seems ridiculous but thats just my opinion. I understand tradition but my dad always said too that eventually people have to make their own traditions.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My friend had 4 names growing up and she hated it.  She said it was such a hassle when she had to fill out forms.
  • dpdwdpdw member
    imageAround*The*World:

And just an FYI....the Social Security Administration actually has a limitation on the number of letters in a name. My nephew has 4 names (FN, MN, and 2 last names) and when my brother submitted his SSA paperwork, he got a phone call saying that his name was too long, and that one of the names must be dropped. I'm not sure if his name is still technically listed as 4 names with the SSA, but his SS card only had room for 3 names (one of which is ridiculously long).

Interesting!  My son has 4 names & all are on his SS card.  But, they are relatively short names for a total of 23 letters.

• I have a normal 3 name sequence myself, so the five name thing isn't my favorite idea.  I think I'll get it down to four max even if I have to pull the "l birthed him!" card after he's born at the hospital.  Britton is pronounced Britain, yes.  Amelie like Ah-ma-lee.  I can't type a little accent thingy on that first e.  And even the girls are subject to it.  Its weird.  They treat the Clinton like a last name.  DH's uncle made his kids Clinton-Wallace.  My MIL chose not to hyphenate.  Thanks for all your honest input!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry, but I couldn't vote either! At least narrow it by one?
  • I narrowed down the boys names, left the girls list alone... we're having a boy anyway.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i already have a hard time with the idea of 4 names-  but kind of get it in some situations.  5 is way too excessive. I think your H needs to compromise since he is getting his Clinton
    EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• I think 5 names is ridiculous.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think you should at least cut out the grandparent's name from his side, since the child will already have Clinton from his side and (I'm assuming) his last name. Those are just a lot of names for one person. I would stick to your guns on this.

As for the names, I don't like Britton at all and I like Amelie the best of your girl names.

• My DH has 5 names (including his surname) and I think it's absolutely ridiculous.  He's always been somewhat annoyed by it too.  It's become a joke with just about everyone who knows us.  I'm hesitant to give my kid even 1 middle name - I don't have one.  Don't give your kid 5 names.  Really.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"