Preemies

?? About NICU Followup

Does everyone have to do a NICU follow up appointment? Is it done at a certain age?  Or just done for babies that were born at a certain stage too early, or with certain problems?

I'm just curious because I keep seeing NICU follow ups mentioned here, but nothing was ever mentioned to us about having to do a follow up appointment.

1/8/12 Confection Shrug Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: ?? About NICU Followup

• I think it varies by hospital. Our NICU did not offer any sort of followup program for our kids (30 weekers). We have since moved to a new city, and they are enrolled in a NICU followup program at a different hospital - though they haven't had a visit to the clinic yet.
  • Our DD (a 28 weeker) was referred to the high risk clinic affiliated with our NICU for follow up specifically because she was on thickened feeds for feeding issues and they wanted to keep an eye on that, but also probably becuase she was IUGR and was still pretty behind on the growth chart.  They also had her referred to the NICU affiliated eye doctor for follow up.  From the way they talked about it, it sounded like they only referred some babies for follow up .... it wasn't a given with our NICU.
  • Loading the player...
  • i was told about our NICU follow-up either right before i delivered via emergency c-section, or one of the first times i was in the NICU hanging out with the baby. needless to say, i could remember someone mentioned something, but none of the details. i asked our dr. and then i got a letter in the mail saying i would get another letter when DS was closer to 6mo adjusted.
  • I just took DD today for a three month follow up. Silly me thought it was a six month follow up by actual age. When I got there, I found out it was a three month follow up by adjusted age. They basically just checked her over and made sure she wasn't falling behind. I also had to call to get the appointment- no one in the NICU ever said that I needed to do this, and they certainly didn't call me to schedule it. DD is scheduled for a six month follow up in July.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had no sort of follow-up. ?Our little one was 34 weeks, but only in the nicu 2 wks.
  • No one ever mentioned it to us...
  • The neonatologist that saw her in the hospital actually has a program that will follow her till she is 3 yr old. So I am so happy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Totally depends on the hospital.  We had them with our son (32wkr) even though he had no problems other than being early.  We actually had periodic NICU follow-ups until he was 2 years adjusted plus a home health nurse who did monthly visits for the first year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"