Working Moms
Options

Daycare pep talk

As in, I need one.  I know all the pros and cons, but I need you all to remind me of the pros.  On Friday DS starts full time daycare in the building right next to the courthouse where I work.  I'm an attorney.  I've been off 6 months.  I am freaking out about how much I'm going to miss him.  Weekends and holidays sounds like a visitation schedule for divorced parents!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Daycare pep talk

• Options

ehhhhh - this is about her not you!!  Just wait until you see how much love she gets at daycare - and what could possibly be bad about that??

I love seeing how all DD smiles at all the DC teachers and even all the toddlers that are in the room next door.  Sometimes, early in the morning, they have "story time w/ Ella" where the teacher reads a story to the toddlers while holding DD - its soo sweet.

You guys will be fine - also consider yourself lucky that you DS is next door and you can see him during the day, my daughter is near my house - an hour away!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Just wait -- it's so much easier when you see how much they love going to daycare and how excited they get being there.  DD LOVED being with the other babies and watching her play with them, bond with a few special friends and learn from them (eating solids, playing, etc.) was great.  Plus she learns so much there now she is older.  It's terrific!!!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are lucky to have him so close to your work. And I'm sure once you are back at work, you'll be busy and won't have the time you have now to think too much about it and stress over it. DS likes his daycare and his provider. He gives her such a big smile every morning when DH drops him off. And honestly, since I'm not with him all day long, it makes the time I'm with him so much better and real quality time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pro:  That all out grin and sprint to my arms when I pick her up each day at daycare.  And the patience I have in the evenings for a fun-filled evening of nothing but playtime! 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DS really, honestly loves his daycare.  All the teachers know him and are so sweet with him.  He is so good about going to other people now, but he definitely knows his momma.
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD loves her daycare. You're lucky yours is so close! It made it easy for me when I'd drop her off at her favorite toy and she'd just go to it and hardly notice when I left. The big grin and excited crawl to me at the end of the day (when she was younger) showed me she was happy but also glad to see me. I used to try to spend a few minutes playing with her in the room at the end of the day so I got a sense of what she'd been doing during the day. Almost 2 years later, I'm hard pressed to get her to leave daycare at the end of the day. She has to stop and show me things and say bye to the fishies!

• Options
    My DD does not go to daycare, my dh stays home but I'll tell you a little secret...I would in a heartbeat, send her. It's nice that my dh stays home and he does a wonderful job but I feel like she would learn so much in a "classroom" like setting with structure and routine.  Babies thrive on routine and structure and I have friends that have their children in daycare and they are learning so much at my dds age.  Plus, I hear babies LOVE it! 
  • Options
    I was freaked out too, but my daycare ctr is across the street from my office too.  I pop in all the time to see my baby.  She is happy and thriving there.  Your child will get sicker than a child who is watched at home by a nanny, but please please please don't let this freak you out.  Their immune system will be so much stronger than other kids later on.  All I can tell you is that with sickness and all, my daughter is totally thriving at daycare.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I beat myself up constantly until I realized it was more about me not liking the idea than how my dd was doing--there was definitely an adjustment period, but now my dd asks for her "friends" and "teacher" on the weekends, by name.  When I drop her off, she runs up to her little friends, and they hug and sing and dance, and try to share their breakfast with each other.  They are only 18-20 months old and have formed such nice bonds.  She's thrilled to see me when I get home and also thrilled to go have fun with others all day.  We can't offer the same level of fun and stimulation--your child will have the best of both worlds!  (PS--I am so much more patient with my child when I'm with her after work than I would be if I were home with her all day).  You are giving the best you can to your child-showing her a mom can have a career and make a difference for her family while also raising a child.  Good luck--I KNOW it's tough-many of us still battle the feelings of guilt and anxiety, but in the end--remind yourself your child will thrive. 
  • Options

It probably won't be as bad as you think.  I'd love to see DS more, but I feel like I see him a lot now and there are days when I'm very happy to drop him off! 

Can you go see him during the day?  I have a similar situation where DS is just across the street and for the first few months he was there, I'd go see him at lunch.  I felt like we got to spend a lot of time together and I got to know his teachers and what goes on at the daycare.  I highly recommend it if you can do it!  I eventually had to stop because he freaks out when I leave now and was having a harder time in the afternoon, but up until he was 8 months or so, it was great.  Definitely eased the transition for me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"