Stay at Home Moms

High Chairs

Hi moms,

We recently did some research and bought a high chair - the Chicco Polly high chair. The more we use it, the less we like it. It's very difficult to clean, with all kinds of seams and holes where the food inevitably finds its way. Plus the bar that goes between the baby's legs is attached to the tray instead of to the chair itself - it is a struggle to attach the tray, because my little guy just kicks it away with all his strength.

We used to be very concerned with all the bells and whistles - adjustable height and recline - but when it comes down to it, we really just want a simple, comfortable, functional chair.

Do any of you recommend a specific brand? Thanks in advance!

K.

Re: High Chairs

• we have this one

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3517842 

It's not that hard to clean but I'm thinking a plain wooden one would be easier. I just had to take apart the cushion and straps two days ago when DS threw up his entire meal and bottle while in the chair. GROSS!!! Cleaning it was kind of a pain but it comes with two covers so you can throw one in the washer while you use the other.

• I hated our high chair for all the reasons you said, plus it took up too much room. We switched to the Fisher Price space saver booster and never looked back. It has a tray, but we just always pulled him straight up to the table (which he liked more anyway). Simple clean up and takes up no room - plus grows with him (since he basically just uses it as a booster now) and under $30.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • our graco is great!
  • the IKEA one has no seams or cushions, supposed to be easy to clean... haven't used it though so i don't really know.  we have the FP space saver one too and so far like it! 
  • imageDevonPow:
    I hated our high chair for all the reasons you said, plus it took up too much room. We switched to the Fisher Price space saver booster and never looked back. It has a tray, but we just always pulled him straight up to the table (which he liked more anyway). Simple clean up and takes up no room - plus grows with him (since he basically just uses it as a booster now) and under $30.

This is what we use and it's great.?

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • another FP Space Saver lover here :)
  • I use the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster seat and love it.  So simple to install anywhere.  Also very easy to transport to wherever we might be.  Super-easy to clean; only the straps get a little food-caked over time. 
  • Awww... what a pain but I guess that's why there are so many on the market because not everything works for everyone!  We actually have The Chicco Polly and have loved it for the last 2 years.  I never take the tray off, to be honest, I just slide it forward and lower her down into the seat so she can't kick it off and spill her food because she always tries!  ha  :)

I do agree that all the crevaces and cracks are hard to clean... I find myself needing to clean it after every single meal and snack, blah.

Good luck finding one that works for you!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• imagebugs07:

we have this one

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3517842 

It's not that hard to clean but I'm thinking a plain wooden one would be easier. I just had to take apart the cushion and straps two days ago when DS threw up his entire meal and bottle while in the chair. GROSS!!! Cleaning it was kind of a pain but it comes with two covers so you can throw one in the washer while you use the other.

I have this one, too.  I love that it has two covers, but it's still a pain to clean.  Stella loves it, though.  She's very comfortable in it.

• I have an ancient Baby Trend highchair. It has adjustable height and recline (not that we ever used either feature). The bar is attached to the chair.

I rarely took the tray off though, I just slid it out a bit to get DD out and wiped it down where it was.

I also took off the seat pad because it was cloth and not wipeable - and that's just a stupid idea. But it worked just fine without the seat pad.

- Jena
  • d.fd.f member
    I love my Graco Contempo.

DS 09/2008

• We used the Primma Pappa by Peg Perego when DS was young

It got so dirty but I did like it
    I switched to the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster & I still use it now (he is 3.5)
    I wonder if I will ever pull the big one out for the next baby

Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
  • We have the Fisher Price Space Saver.  It just clips onto whatever chair you want.  I love it.  The cover of the chair itself is plastic, so can be vacuumed/wiped clean.  The leg part is part of the base, not the tray, so DD just sits right onto it and the tray clips on top.  The tray itself is dishwasher safe, but I normally just wash by hand in the sink.  Oh, it also reclines and whatnot, but I never used that function.  AND it was cheap - $49!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for all of the advice - I really appreciate it! It sounds like the FP Space Saver might be the way to go for us...
  • Good post, we decided we aren't getting a high chair at all, we are going to use the fisher price booster also.
  • We usually go for the most expensive model for a lot of things but we did not see the point w/ a high chair. Ours is an Evenflo. It was honestly the cheapest option at BRU at the time I registered. It reclines and the height adjusts. The seat wipes very easily and the tray is big and deep which we like. It think it was $59.99.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is it, in a similar pattern. I guess BRU doesn't carry it anymore but we love it. We got one for my parents' as well. Sorry I don't know how to do clicky but you can see the name of it...

https://www.target.com/Evenflo-Expressions-Chair-Perry-Plaid/dp/B001HLHI5G/sr=1-1/qid=1241053491/ref=sr_1_1/181-2883724-3255110?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:high chair&page=1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have the Recline and Grow Feeding Seat by Safety 1st, got it BRU. It's fantastic! Takes up way less room than a normal high chair, super easy to use and it 'grows' with your child.
  • the fisher price healthy care booster seat is SO great. ?I never would have chosen it because I would think it is better for bigger kids, but my DD has used it since 6 months and we all love it. ?Plus it is EASY to take. ?Highly highly recommend.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861764

• Hello there, I've used the high chair that sits on your chair. Its awesome, it reclines it tucks under the table nicely when you push the chair in and it very space saving. I used it starting at 1week old for all three of my children and will use it for my 4th child as soon as he/she arrives. You can push the chair up against the table so that he wont be able to push the tray off! Another great thing is there is no pad on the bottom there is one against the back that just comes off to wash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"