Success after IF

Repost: Was anyone else on Clomid and a trigger shot (Ovidrel)?

Is/Was anyone else on Clomid and a trigger shot (Ovidrel)? --> Here's my story... I've been married for 4 1/2 years and sexually active since the age of 21 with one partner (DH).  I have never been on birthcontrol but we did practice the withdrawal method.  I've never gotten pregnant or had a scare.  Finally, in November I got pregnant and that sadly ended 5 weeks later.  We've had all the infertility test done and I'm in the clear.  Everything seems to look good.  However, I can't get pregnant.  Last week Wednesday my OB put me on Clomid 50mg, to begin on Friday.  My RE prescribed Clomid 100mg, also to begin on Friday.  He stated that if we were going to do it, we would have to do it right.  Well, I chose the 100mg and have been nervous ever since.  I decided to totally take matters into my own hands and took the 100mg for 3 days, took a 50mg for one day, and plan on taking a 25 mg tonight, the final night.  I'm scheduled for a HCG trigger shot on Saturday.  I'm so scared, should I opt out of it? So many things are going through my mind.  I've even considered abstaining this month.  I've never been so unsure or felt so scared.  Has anyone had both the trigger shot and Clomid during their first month of Clomid? Thanks and sorry for the length.
Thank you TTCAL and IF board. "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Miscarried December of 2008, Ectopic Pregnancy November of 2009

IVF #1 = BFN | IVF #2 = BFP: 9dp5dt (399), 14dp5dt (2489)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6,7
Image and video hosting by TinyPicIn loving memory of MrsTyson's precious Julia

Re: Repost: Was anyone else on Clomid and a trigger shot (Ovidrel)?

• I did!  I'm unexplained, also.  It took IVF for me to get pg, but lots of women have success with Clomid.  I'm not so sure about the tapering off of the dosage.  I'd talk to your RE about that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took clomid prescribed by obgyn but didn't get a trigger shot with it.  Does your RE monitor you before doing the trigger to see how many follicles?  RE's are usually better than obgyns at this.

I think my sister did this and had only one child - if that is your concern of HOM.

• Loading the player...
  • i was unexplained.  the first month at the RE, i took clomid with the trigger shot and did IUI.  we wanted to do everything we could to improve our chances.  is your RE doing u/s and monitoring you while on clomid?  they should definitely be checking your egg production
  • If you have sex after taking those meds, WITHOUT HAVING AN ULTRASOUND to see what's going on with your ovaries, you are flat out NUTS. Octo-mom nuts.

Clomid is not candy.

Do not play with that med, and do NOT trigger without knowing what you're playing with.

If you have been getting monitored, then share that info too. But seriously, "taking it into your own hands" is very irresponsible. IMO.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Were you told to decrease the dosage of Clomid fropm your doctor? Do you want to get pregnant or not? Your post sounds like you are unsure.

Anyway, yes, I took and got pregnant on my first cycle of Clomid and the Ovidrel trigger shot. I took 50 mg for 5 days and ended up ovulating on cd 19, I believe. We had sex three days prior that and one day after and 2 weeks later-BFP!

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • To follow up with DavezWife...I was first prescribed Clomid by an OB with no monitoring, no real explanation of the medication.  She told me to try it for three months and to come back if it didn't work.  To preface, I'd had all my OB needs done by my dr's office but went to her when we had a m/c.  I did that for one month, found the TTTC board and was educated about what really should be happening.  I immediately contacted an RE and wrote a letter of complaint to the OB.  I agree that if your RE gave you a prescription for 100 mg, then you should not be taking matters into your own hands and altering the dosage. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It really doesn't sound like you're ready for these treatments...maybe I'm reading too far into your post, but you sound way nervous and just not prepared mentally. You should never "take things into your own hands" either, these medicines need to be taken exactly as your doctor orders (and I would go by what the RE said, it is his/her job to get you pregnant, his orders should supercede whatever your OB said). And ditto Davez, you should really be monitored if you are doing treatments - the trigger shot will force your ovaries to ovulate any follicles that are matured. If you trigger and don't know how many eggs you have, you are playing with fire.
  • I apologize for not sharing this, but yes, I am scheduled for an ultrasould and bloodwork on Saturday.  Saturday is also the day that I am scheduled for my Ovidrel injection.  

Thank you TTCAL and IF board. "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6,7
  • By the way, I am a pharmacist.  There isn't a problem with  decreasing the dose.  The problem would come if I completely stopped taking the medication.

I appreciate all of your responses and your honesty. 

• I did: I have no fertility issues (we used a donor due to azoospermia). I was on 100mg of clomid cd3-7, and ovidrel trigger 24 hours prior to IUI(ovulation). I'm currently 14 weeks with a singleton.
    Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

• image*Blessed*:

By the way, I am a pharmacist.? There isn't a problem with ?decreasing the dose.? The problem would come if I completely stopped taking the medication.

I appreciate all of your responses and your honesty.?

What do you mean by "there isn't a problem"? ?That there isn't a safety issue or that you are 100% sure it will still work? ?

I'm not sure what your rationale is behind tapering the dose, but if that approach hasn't been tested extensively, the Clomid might not work. ?Then you might be wasting your time and money on the monitoring and trigger shot. ??

I'm also confused as to what you are unsure about. ?Getting pregnant, taking drugs to get pregnant, multiples? ?The chance of having multiples with Clomid is much lower than with injectibles, and with the monitoring, they can cancel your trigger shot if they see more follicles than they feel comfortable with. ?

I'm also not sure why you are not comfortable following your RE's (probably well-described) protocol for Clomid if it includes monitoring. ?

Maybe if you elaborate you can get some more detailed responses. ??

?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • this can be a very stressful time, not knowing what to expect.  Your RE should be monitoring you and if you have too many follicles as a result of the clomid, you can make the decision to abstain to avoid the potential for multiples.  Your u/s and bloodwork will be the best indicator -- make a decision after you have that done and talk to your RE about it.  At your u/s, have him/her tell you how many mature follicles you have that could release if you take the ovidrel. 

• Yes, I did several rounds of Clomid + trigger shot...it was the start of treatment for us. It's a common first course of treatment.

It really doesn't sound like you're ready for treatment if you're so unsure or scared. Which is fine! You don't have to start treatment if you're not ready. Maybe talk to your RE about a break, or just take a break until you feel ready. But don't go into treatments if it's not the right time for you. GL. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ok, so you're being monitored. good. but as a pharmacist, (really?) then you should know that you are not postively certainly going to trigger on Sat. That's not how it works. You trigger when those egg(s) are ready, to help them "pop".  And there would not really be a "problem" if you stopped taking the med. There's no theraputic level here. And you didn't decrease it, you made up your own rules. You said you were "totally taking matters into your own hands" and that is very scary.

I honestly don't mean to be rude. (although I won't apologize for being outspoken) but seriously.... if you need/want help getting pregnant, you have to play by the rules, so to speak. Read about how high order multiples come to be.. it's not (usually) IVF. It's shooting at clomid eggs blind.

There's also a "T-TTC" board that has alot of women that are having some of the same meds/protocol.  GL!

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • I mean there isn't a safety issue.  I am not increasing my dose or completely getting off of the medication, I am simply going from 3 days of 100mg, to 1 day of 50mg, and a final day of 25mg. 

Quite honeslty, I have many fears.  I'm afraid of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, thinning of the uterine lining, birth defects, and multiples. 

• imageDavezWife:

ok, so you're being monitored. good. but as a pharmacist, (really?) then you should know that you are not postively certainly going to trigger on Sat. That's not how it works. You trigger when those egg(s) are ready, to help them "pop".  And there would not really be a "problem" if you stopped taking the med. There's no theraputic level here. And you didn't decrease it, you made up your own rules. You said you were "totally taking matters into your own hands" and that is very scary.

I honestly don't mean to be rude. (although I won't apologize for being outspoken) but seriously.... if you need/want help getting pregnant, you have to play by the rules, so to speak. Read about how high order multiples come to be.. it's not (usually) IVF. It's shooting at clomid eggs blind.

There's also a "T-TTC" board that has alot of women that are having some of the same meds/protocol.  GL!

You were not being rude, at least I didn't take it that way.  I appreciate and welcome the honesty. 

I  feel so overwhelmed.  It is an all comsuming thought that has not allowed me to think rationally.

• image*Blessed*:

Quite honeslty, I have many fears.? I'm afraid of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, thinning of the uterine lining,?birth defects, and multiples.?

Since I am not a pharmacist, I don't know the relative risk of OHSS from Clomid. ?I do know that it is much lower than with injectibles. ?However, if you are worried about OHSS, I bet your RE has the stats and you can talk with him about whether 50 mg is better for you because you are worried about it. ?

If you are worried about thinning your lining, I would talk to your RE about Femara instead of Clomid. ?Since Femara does not block the estrogen receptors, the side effects are minimal and there does not seem to be any thinning of the lining. ?

As for birth defects, again, ask your RE for the increased risk of birth defects resulting from Clomid taken before pregnancy. ?(Clomid or Femara taken after you are pregnant can obviously cause issues.) ?Talk to him about Femara - it has a shorter track record (so not as much data on birth defects), but it looks like there is no greater risk of birth defects with Femara than with Clomid (not sure how it compares to the general population). ?Also, Femara does not linger in your body as long as Clomid, so that may be more reassuring (to know it is probably completely out by the time fertilization occurs). ?

Multiples - the chance of multiples is higher with Clomid, but that is why they monitor you by ultrasound. ?However, the chance of twins is the highest, the chances of triplets or higher is below 1% (and that is the total number, which includes unmonitored use). ?The chance of multiples with Femara is supposed to be lower than with Clomid. ?Both of them have a much lower chance of multiples than injectables. ?

If you are not ready for fertility treatments, that is absolutely fine. ?However, if you are not ready, you should just wait instead of tinkering with your medication. ?Talk to your doctors, decide if you are willing to take the risks, and go from there. ??

• imageDavezWife:

Read about how high order multiples come to be.. it's not (usually) IVF. It's shooting at clomid eggs blind.

Clomid tends to cause an increase in twins (about 7-10%) and a very small increase in higher order multiples (0.5% for triplets, 0.3% for quads). ?Using injectables (generally for IUI since they cannot control the number of embryos like in IVF), I have read that there is a 20-30% chance of twins and a 3% chance of higher order multiples (so probably about a 10x higher chance of HOM with injectables). ?Of course, this risk goes down with proper monitoring and the right dosages, and some of the data is probably due to unmonitored cycles. ?

https://pregnancy.emedtv.com/clomid/clomid-and-twins.html?

My point is that unless you have a source saying that higher order multiples (triplets and higher) are more likely to result from Clomid than other fertility treatments (injectables, IUI), you may want to tone down the rhetoric a little. ?I'm not going to absolutely say that the majority of HOM come from injectables compared to Clomid, but I think that is a lot more likely than your statement that higher order multiples usually come from "shooting at Clomid eggs blind."

In any case, she is being monitored, she is not ODing on Clomid (if anything it may not work because she is decreasing the dose), and she's nervous. ?Statements about HOM without data to back them up are not helping. ?Please don't take this the wrong way - I just want to make sure she has the facts about it with real numbers. ?

• I just wanted to post in case there are others out there googling and looking for more info.

I did Clomid 100mg. Showed 2 mature follicles, so we triggered and did IUI, with supposedly only a 3-5% chance of triplets, and even much lower for more. I just found out that we are indeed having triplets.

Even with the best monitoring and following doctors advice exactly is very possible for the unexpected to happen.

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"