Baby Showers

MIL wants to throw shower after baby is born but....

So my MIL said she wanted to throw a shower after the baby is born so they know what the sex is and introduce the baby. Different but this is how my ILs do things. I initially thought this was a good idea but then I woke up in the middle of the night thinking 'If this shower is right after the baby is born, people would want to hold the baby, kiss and tough the baby.' I don't have a problem with this but considering it will be a newborn, I'm thinking the baby will be too new and might get sick being so new. The whole Swine Flu stuff going around...it's got this 1st time mom-to be nervous. Am I being paranoid? Do I have a valid leg to stand on? Would it be bad to plan something maybe two three months down the line. I'm not going to stop people from coming by the house to visit the baby after it's born but a party so soon...I don't know?

Re: MIL wants to throw shower after baby is born but....

• I think it'd be fine to plan it a month or two after the baby is born - three months seems a little excessive but really, it's your shower. My cousin had a shower like this and I believe her son was nearly two months at the shower.

If swine flu ends up being a big thing you can always cancel :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know I'm being a paranoid new mom-to-be I just can't help be nervous :)
  • Loading the player...
  • You can't plan to have it any sooner than 1 month after baby's born if you want RSVPs anyway (can't send the invites till the birth, need to do that at least 4 weeks prior to the shower usually so that people have to RSVP about 2 weeks beforehand... you get the picture). You'll know your baby's health status and have every right to have boundaries for people interacting with the baby. If you're most comfortable, limit interaction between newborn and guests to a 'shake hands with baby' receiving line or something creative like that where they don't all get to hold and kiss the kiddo. Baby can be in the room and be admired for a while without having a ton of direct contact with the guests.
  • I wouldn't call it a shower but more of a meet and greet. Give yourself a couple of weeks to recover physically and emotionally at least.

Don't most studies show that babies who are around lots of people are healthier? Kind of like kids who grow up around a lot of animals and other kids tend to have less allergies.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid concern but the socialization might also be a plus for the baby.

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I  actually thought your post was going to  be a big complaint about someone throwing a shower later than you wanted it. So, I am overjoyed to see that you are just very amenable to your IL's wishes! I think you should talk to your MIL and I am sure she would understand. 2 months out is not bad but 3 months might be pushing it. Remember, you are going to get lots of loot at your shower which may mean you will end up with doubles if you already buy the stuff ;)
    someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• I had to have an emergency c-section and have had a rough recovery.  I would have had more fun at a shower while I was pregnant than right afterward.  Then what if you have a newborn who is up every 2 hours?  It also depends on the size of the shower.  A lot of pedis recommend waiting 2-3 weeks before bringing your newborn in public.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"