Minnesota Babies

Newborn pictures - studio vs. private photograhper?

Hey Ladies,

Just needing some opinions on what the best way to go is with newborn pictures.  If we get pictures taken around or before the 6 week mark, he's not going to be able to do much but lay there and look cute, so not sure if the expense of a private photographer (for lack of a better way to say it) is worth it.  Or if going to a place like the studio inside Babies R Us or JC Penney, or something like that would be just as good.  The one year pictures I can definitely see a private photographer may be able to get more unique and creative pictures.

I live in the Northwest Metro (Maple Grove, Rogers area) anyone have any recommondations on places to go and opinions on where my money would be best spent on these newborn photos?

Re: Newborn pictures - studio vs. private photograhper?

• Ours was more of a choice of style. We preferred the style a private photographer more than a BRU or JCP studio setting. It was also easier to have someone come to our home when she was so little.
  • At that age it's easier to have someone come into your home, or at least that's my opinion. 
    imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• Loading the player...
  • We just did Target's photo studio for all our pictures so far.  Are they as great as a professional photographer?  No. But we could go monthly for less than the cost of a sitting fee for a lot of good photographers.  That and I've set up a backdrop in my house many times to take our own photo sessions.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We had Olivia's 3 week pictures done at Babies R Us. They did a GREAT job, it wasn't very expensive at all and we are going to keep going back there. She was so young, that she was still sleeping through most of it, so it worked out great. She's momentarily wake up for some poses, and others we just let her sleep.
    Ashley & Christian
  • I'm a private photographer so I'm obviously biased but I just wanted to say that if you want to do newborn photos, you should really try to do them within the first two weeks. They still curl well at that point and are extra sleepy so it's quite easy to pose them. I'm not too familiar with what chain studios do as far as photographing newborns but I know that many private photogs request appointments within the first two weeks so that they can do a variety of sleeping poses. Generally you'll call before you deliver to discuss it and then let them know once you've delivered and they'll have saved time for you in their schedule.

The advantage to a private photog, in most cases, is that they'll come to your home, which I know a lot of my clients appreciate since they've generally just arrived home from the hospital and traveling is a lot to think about. I plan to spend plenty of time at a shoot so I'm happy to wait while baby is nursed, changed, nursed again, rocked to sleep, etc. When the parents don't feel stressed out about how their baby will act and whether he/she will behave during a short allotment of time, they can relax and so can the baby. Photos also tend to be more tailored to each client/family/baby since private photographers have more time to develop a relationship with each client.

That being said, the price isn't for everyone and as several people pointed out, sometimes the chain studios are enough.  Good luck to you either way!

• We did ours at www.graceparkphotography.com and she includes a CD with all images and you can print on your own, she gives you the rights.  She has a special for newborns and does an awesome job, she also has you call when the baby arrives and she fits you in somewhere where it works for you!!!  She also used a heater in the room with our twins so we could do the cute naked photos without them getting warm or waking up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"