Birth Stories

EJ's (pain) med-free delivery!

Sorry it's been so long, but I'm sure you can all understand that it's crazy after you have a baby! 

So last Saturday, I woke up at 6am with a big GUSH.  I had already gone to the doc twice thinking I was leaking but this was a very obvious breaking of the water.  I went to pee and gushed and gushed and gushed.  I remember the nurse had told me that if I soaked through a pad in less than 10 minutes, it was my water.  Well, I was going through pads about every 2 minutes!  BUT I wasn't having any contractions.

So we call the doc and she tells me we've got to get things moving so she wants to induce.  I tell her I want to go natural and she says she'll assess at the hospital...

We arrived about 8am (after cleaning up, dropping off the dog, etc) and see the doc.  She's fantastic and tells me we can wait a bit and see if I go into labor by myself so she'll be back at 6pm.  In the meantime I can't eat anything but ice chips and italian ice!  I think I probably downed about a dozen of those.

By the time the doc actually came back (around 9.30) I had only had about 3-5 contractions, but progressed to 4-5 cm.  Unfortunately that wasn't enough so they hooked up the IV with some pitocin.   And man did that stuff HURT.  I definitely questioned going without the epidural, and I don't know if I could have done it without DH.  And also the fact that every time they checked, I had made progress.  By 11.30pm I had made it to 10 cm and the pushing began!  Pushing is much easier than tolerating the contractions!  So little EJ was born at 1.21 am, no epidural, and a 2nd degree tear...

I would say to those who want a med-free delivery, a doula would probably be very beneficial, unless DH is really really good.  I def got annoyed with him (stinky breath, do this, do that, etc) and a 3rd party would have been great.  Other than that, I say YOU CAN DO IT!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: EJ's (pain) med-free delivery!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"