Special Needs
Options

Packing for the hospital

We just found out that our son will have surgery next week (his complete heart repair for tetralogy). I've heard that you should bring their favorite CDs, toys, and blankets, but is there anything else I should pack? Will the hospital provide diapers? I feel like I should know this, but our only other hospital stay was when he was born, so I'm not sure if things are different now. Thanks :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Packing for the hospital

• Options

I'm sorry you have to go for this procedure, but pray for the best outcome for your little guy. DS was in the hospital for a week @ 6 months w/bad RSV (this was a full year before we learned of his Dx). The hospital did provide diapers, wipes, and formula but nothhing like stage 1 foods or cereals. There will probably be a playroom where there are toys you could borrow, but hospitals are inherently dirty so I wiped everything down before DS played with anything.

Some things that were helpful were DVDs, books as well as fav. toys. Also, we were able to wash DS in the sink (he's tiny so he fit well LOL) and was grateful we had some of his soft washcloths, but would have used the Huggies pre-made/disposables if we had thought of it. I'm guessing a sink bath may not be possible for your little guy but a nice sponge bath will probably make him feel better.

I brought my own pillows - with BRIGHT pillow cases (so they didn't get mistaken for hospital pillows) and my own sheet/blanket. Also, I brought a small bottle of detergent so I could wash his bottles and spoons in the sink. I also brought those little packs of flavoring for water bottles (for me) and non-perishable snacks.

I have many nurse friends and their suggestion to us was to really befriend your nurses early.  We bought cookies and a veggie tray for both shifts on day 2 and while I'm sure they would have provided the same level of care, it really didn't hurt if you know what i mean. In fact, when the docs were ready to discharge DS, and I KNEW he wasn't ready, one of the nurses fudged DS's temp reading and said it had gone up a little which could be a sign of infection (we're talking a few tenths of a degree.) Seriously, I told the docs they would have to call security to kick us out but there was no way we were leaving without a fight. As it turns out the next morning DS had developed full blown pneumonia and his oxygen sats dropped to the 70s - really dangerous. My guy was blue - I can't let myself go there and think of what could have been if we weren't still at the hospital.

best of luck and listen to your gut for everything. don't be afraid to have the docs/nurses repeat information and even ask them to write it down if it's a lot to process.

• Options
    food if you are feeding him baby food. bottles if he is bottle fed. PJs for you and him. His stroller so you can take him for a walk up and down the hall in the wee hrs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stroller - brilliant!!!
  • Options

they provided everything my son needed (including jarred baby food although he was eating mainly solids at the time). ?i did take lotion (face and body) as i didn't like the ones they had for him. ?you can bring an extra sheet with you so he's sleeping on something that smells like home, or just do what i did and place a thin receiving blanket under his head. ?the hospital i was at also provided new toys to keep so i didn't have to bring too many, just a few a his favs. ?if the hospital has wireless a laptop is great (it saved me from going insane with boredom) as well as maybe some books/magazines for you. ?there was a whole foods nearby so i bought apples and oranges to have.

def. agree with taking a stroller. ?that saved my son from going crazy! ?he loved to take strolls in the hallways and wave at everyone.?

i hope the surgery goes well! ?good luck!!!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It makes me feel a little more prepared :)  This time next week, DS should be far on the road to recovery (knock on wood)!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were at the largest children's hospital in GA for over two months solid, and honestly, besides our stroller, there wasn't a thing they didn't provide.  We did bring some of our own favorite stuff like our brand of Pampers wipes, DSs favorite blanket and toys, and of course our own personal stroller (though they had plenty of wagons available at any time).  They provided all essentials such as formula, baby food, wipes, butt cream, Johnson's lotion and wash, Gerber sippy cups or bottles, Mam pacis, Pampers diapers, socks, gowns -- basically if he needed it, they had it.

For you I do suggest your favorite PJs (we lived in ours) and if you're going to be there for an extended time some detergent for washing your clothes, your own pillow, chapstick, contact solution/case/glasses, and your own brand of soap/shampoo/toothbrush/toothpaste.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"