1st Trimester

Anyone freaked out by the thought of breastfeeding?

Assuming I can, I definitely want to BF my babies, but for some reason as I sit here thinking of it I'm totally freaked out and almost grossed out by the thought of doing it. I don't know if its because my boobs have always been a sexual thing or if it's actually the thought of milk coming out of my boobs Ick! but for some reason it just bothers me.

I've had so many people tell me, just wait, it's such an amazing experience...I just hope it really is and I'm not totally freaked out by it the whole time.

Anyone else freaked out about becoming a milk factory?

Re: Anyone freaked out by the thought of breastfeeding?

• I was with my DS but once he was there, I enjoyed it while it lasted (all 3 months) until my supply diminished. They are still a sexual thing, and still a maternal thing- Once you do it, itll make sense and then when in the sack (hehe) DH will remind you of how well they are appreciated! (Growl!)

Itll get better! I promise!

• Loading the player...
  • Um, those were my exact thoughts when I was pregnant with DS.  It literally disgusted me.  I'd get queasy just thinking about it.  Finally, I decided that it wasn't for me and I wasn't going to do it.

Well, then I was in the hospital and after DS was delivered, they asked if I was going to BF.  I said, "Um, sure?".  So they helped me figure it out.  For me, it was completely natural.  It was something that my body was telling me to do.  I WANTED to.  I knew how almost instantly.  It was truly instinct.

Now, I have to warn you, it is NOT instinct for most women... but it was for me.  I stopped when DS was 6/7 months old because of complications.  Even though it was easy (and I plan on doing it again) and DS was a really good eater (we're talking 15 minutes tops for both sides), it wasn't something I particularly enjoyed or thought was an amazing experience.  It was just what it was.  I fed my baby.  That's all.  It wasn't amazing or overwhelming.  There was no joy or elation.

But it was easy, it came naturally, and it nourished DS.  That's my 2 cents.

• That is why they make formula.
  • 'm very comfortable w/ BF and i pray to god i will be able to, but not everyone can (my mother couldn?t) so i feel if you can, you should at least give it a try.. but everyone is different. my SIL knew she wouldn?t even before she got pregnant and she didn?t with either of her boys. that was her choice and no one ever said anything negative about her decision. her boys are healthy and happy.

You may change your decision when the baby comes.. the most important thing is -don?t over think it.

Good luck!

• Yup! Freaked. I figure that will pass. I am also scared that my boobs are so big I'll smother the poor dear. What if they are so big and difficult to manuever that I can only BF at home in private?
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • A lot of women feel that way.  We live in a culture that sees breasts as purely sexual and where many people still see nursing as strange.

I can tell you that nursing for me has not been as strange or uncomfortable as I thought it would be, and it's not sexual at all.  It's totally possible for breasts to have dual roles--sexual and functional.  Think of a man's penis--it is functional because he pees out of it, but it is also sexual, and you aren't thinking about him peeing while you are having sex (unless you're into that).

Give it a try when the baby comes and see how it feels to you.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebethiex3:
    That is why they make formula.

No, I definitely want my baby to have the breat milk (I'll pump if i have to) and when it comes down to it, if I can, I will breast feed... I'm just posting to see if anyone else is/was as freaked out as I am

• imageladycountry:

Um, those were my exact thoughts when I was pregnant with DS.  It literally disgusted me.  I'd get queasy just thinking about it.  Finally, I decided that it wasn't for me and I wasn't going to do it.

Well, then I was in the hospital and after DS was delivered, they asked if I was going to BF.  I said, "Um, sure?".  So they helped me figure it out.  For me, it was completely natural.  It was something that my body was telling me to do.  I WANTED to.  I knew how almost instantly.  It was truly instinct.

Now, I have to warn you, it is NOT instinct for most women... but it was for me.  I stopped when DS was 6/7 months old because of complications.  Even though it was easy (and I plan on doing it again) and DS was a really good eater (we're talking 15 minutes tops for both sides), it wasn't something I particularly enjoyed or thought was an amazing experience.  It was just what it was.  I fed my baby.  That's all.  It wasn't amazing or overwhelming.  There was no joy or elation.

But it was easy, it came naturally, and it nourished DS.  That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing. I like this perspective. Seems very practical to me and a mentality that I could see myself taking on.

• imageDiscusCoach:
    Yup! Freaked. I figure that will pass. I am also scared that my boobs are so big I'll smother the poor dear. What if they are so big and difficult to manuever that I can only BF at home in private?

1. Your breasts will not be smother your baby.  Plenty of large-breasted women breastfeed just fine.

2.  If you don't want to NIP, you can take bottles of expressed breast milk or formula when you go out.  Many women do this.  You can nurse at home and give bottles in public--it isn't one or the other.  And once you get more experienced at BFing, it's a lot easier to nurse in public--and you can use a cover to be discreet.

Not saying you have to BF, just saying that big breasts do not mean you can't BF.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagercollier_17:

imagebethiex3:

No, I definitely want my baby to have the breat milk (I'll pump if i have to) and when it comes down to it, if I can, I will breast feed... I'm just posting to see if anyone else is/was as freaked out as I am

It's a good idea to take your pump to the hospital with you-  my milk came in on my 2nd day there and I had no way to express it out but for it to leak out and have DS feeding. It was truly embarrasing and being able to pump would have been ideal for me.

• I was with my first baby, but once he comes out it is really natural (but hard!) thing to do. I wish I could have kept it up but I never made much milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess I never freaked about it.  It was very awesome to be able to feed DD.  I won't lie - It was hard at 1st but after a while we both got the hang of it and LOVED it.  I am looking forward to BF this baby as well.  I was able to go 8 months and was sad when I was done but I was proud I got that far.  If it totally grosses you out - use formula.
  • imageiris427:

imageDiscusCoach:
    Yup! Freaked. I figure that will pass. I am also scared that my boobs are so big I'll smother the poor dear. What if they are so big and difficult to manuever that I can only BF at home in private?

1. Your breasts will not be smother your baby.  Plenty of large-breasted women breastfeed just fine

Not saying you have to BF, just saying that big breasts do not mean you can't BF.

I have VERY Big boobs and I didnt smother my baby-the thought crossed my mind (as a joke to myself) but they wiggle their noses and it's instinct for them to know how to breathe through the boob.  Im DD's and bigger after baby- Breast feeding with biggins is not impossible!

• imagemiss_beckman:

I was with my DS but once he was there, I enjoyed it while it lasted (all 3 months) until my supply diminished. They are still a sexual thing, and still a maternal thing- Once you do it, itll make sense and then when in the sack (hehe) DH will remind you of how well they are appreciated! (Growl!)

Itll get better! I promise!

this exactly!

1/8/12 Confection Shrug Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagercollier_17:

Anyone else freaked out about becoming a milk factory?

Hee hee, my DH is.  He's pushing it harder than me, because once I get past the colostrum in the first 48-72 hrs I'd much rather just FF, but whenever we talk about it he just stares at my boobs and starts turning green lol.

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • Nope.  I loved nursing Calloway - I wish I had been able to BF longer than I had, but my supply tanked and he wanted four times the amount that I could give him.  It's NOT a sexual thing, it's not icky.  You have breasts for a reason, may as well put them to use.

• I was with my first.  At first i was all for it, then I was totally freaked out by it, but when my husband reminded me that my MIL (who I absolutely couldn't stand at the time, but tolerate her now) wouldn't be able to feed her if I breastfed, I changed my mind back.  I think that's pretty normal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebethiex3:
    way to be positive and supportive!
  • No, you're not the only one. I'm sort of feeling strange about it. It does go back to breasts being sexual. Everyone says it is natural and best for baby, etc, but I'm still just funny about it. I'm going to try, I feel like I ought to, but I may wind up formula feeding. Being pregnant, having a baby, etc is all new to me. I've never been around anyone pregnant or nursing for the most part or around babies so I'm figuring out what I'll do as I go along.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am freaked out by EVERYTHING baby related.  I think baby bumps are gross, especially when they are big, breastfeeding freaks me out, especially when people do it in public, childbirth totally freaks me out....

That said, I will take pictures of my bump, breastfeed, and of course go through labor.  So I'll have to deal.  I don't have any pregnancy symptoms yet, but I'm definitely not one of those "pregnancy is beautiful" type of people.  It's an unfortunate necesssity to having kids IMO.

• Don't worry it freaks me out too. I'm scared to death of all the painful stories I have read. My boobs are already sore and I can't believe or imagine a little baby sucking milk out of them. I am going to try and hope for the best.
  • imageDiscusCoach:

I've got huge boobs, but with a little practice, I nursed in public all the time.  They cover in style's they sell at Target are fabulous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"