Birth Stories

Homebirth/Insurance ?

Hello ladies, I wasn't sure where to put this but I think this is a good place since some of you have had homebirths!

I was wondering if you would share your experiences with homebirth/insurance/costs.

DH and I are definitely looking into it. (We aren't image yet, I'm just a planner image )

1. Did your insurance cover your homebirth?
1a. If yes, what percentage and did they cover it ahead of time or did you have to file for it afterwards
1b. If no, did you just pay out of pocket (if you would share an estimate of how much it was that would be awesome)

2. Did you have to jump through any hoops to get it covered. Any tips to share?

3. If they didn't cover home birth but did cover a midwife, did you use your insurance to cover MW services leading up to birth and then pay out of pocket for the birth itself?

If any of you have any helpful experience that you could share, whatever it is I would be very grateful.

My DH has United (AZ) and I have RAN/AMN (AZ), mine clearly states that it does not cover midwives with the intent of homebirth.

I won't be on DH's until October (it was cheaper because we both work for the state to keep our own, but now with this we will get me on his), we aren't currently TTA or TTC.

Sorry for so many questions and TIA! image
~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                 You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

Re: Homebirth/Insurance ?

• I had Blue Choice Carefirst but it really is plan specific as to what insurance will cover.  I also went to a group of midwives who took my insurance to begin with.  It wasn't until I was about 35 wks when I thought that maybe I should call and see if my homebirth would be covered.  I called and they told me that midwives weren't covered or on my plan at all (ummm- well they had been paying for my midwives' services for the last 9 yrs so I knew that was crap).  I was told that they would look into it and call me back.  They did call me back...about a month later while I had my sweet baby in my arms.  They said they were still looking into it and would let me know.  I told them that I hope they will pay for it because I already had my homebirth and was holding the baby right then (I was willing to pay out of pocket to get the birth I wanted though but certainly didn't let them know that).  I also told them how much money I had saved them by having the baby at home (had to throw that argument in there).  Anyway, a couple of months later I got a statement that my homebirth was paid for.  All in all, for EVERYTHING, my midwives charge $3900 (prenatal care, labor, delivery and postpartum home visit and follow up).  That is CHEAP!

Good luck with whatever you find out and good luck when the BFP comes!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you Melissa!
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Loading the player...
  • I had a HB in March and live in Chandler. If you need a recommendation for a HB MW, let me know!! I LOVE mine!

That said, my insurance is private and has no maternity coverage, so I paid out of pocket. All told (MW, birth pool and supplies, optional u/s) I spent about $3000.

• imageKatediggs:

I had a HB in March and live in Chandler. If you need a recommendation for a HB MW, let me know!! I LOVE mine

I am in Scottsdale and would love it if you could pass the info along to me!  Also not Preg (yet), but deff want to go this route.  Also, are there any birthing centers that you know of in the area?  I can't seem to find any but I didn't know if I was just missing anything! 

Thx!  missdanib at yahoo dot com

• I haven't had a homebirth yet, as I miscarried, but we plan on it with w successful pregnancy.

1. Homebirth and midwives are legally required to be covered in my state.

1.a. The normal out-of-network provider rate, which in my case is $500 deductible and a 60/40 split after up to the out of pocket max of $3000.  My understanding is that my mw would bill my insurance after the birth itself - we would pay a down payment (as it were) and then pay the rest of the deductible and whatever amount we owed after.  A timetable would be agreed upon in advance - we intended to pay our portion in advance, as she gave a 10% discount for paying your portion by 36 weeks. We never got that far.

1.b. I would pay out of pocket if I could afford it and insurance didn't.  It varies by region and midwife - mine charges a flat rate of $4800 for all prenatal care, a good deal of testing, labor/delivery and postpartum care.  A pretty good deal if you ask me.

2. No, but again, we didn't get very far. I did talk to my insurance and they said it wouldn't be a problem, as she was in their system (just not a preferred provider/in network affiliate).  Again, the fact that state law mandates mw and homebirth coverage makes this loads easier.  I do know I had no trouble getting labwork or u/s ordered by my mw covered at the appropriate rate.

3. n/a

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• 1. Did your insurance cover your homebirth?

I didn't have insurance when I got pregnant because I didn't get on my husband's plan quick enough after we were married (and I was kicked off my parents), so It was considered a pre-existing condition.

1a. If yes, what percentage and did they cover it ahead of time or did you have to file for it afterwards

My midwife said if someone has insurance she bills them 1,000 for the pre-natal care and 1,000 for the birth, pre-natal care, etc.

1b. If no, did you just pay out of pocket (if you would share an estimate of how much it was that would be awesome)

We payed out of pocket for the pre-natal care. It was 1,000 total and we just payed a bit at each visit (we're done now though). She doesn't charge us for the delivery.

Hope that helped!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"