Birth Stories

Curious... what is more painful?

Do you think the labor or delivery is more painful?

I am considering going naturally. However, this is my first so I am not going to decide until I actually am giving birth.

Any opinions on this? What was the most painful part of labor??

DS 10/27/09, 5lb. 15oz., 18in., Emergency C-Section, TTC soon!, hoping for a VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/guineas12/?action=view

Re: Curious... what is more painful?

• I just gave birth to my first child a week ago......we had our little boy at home and I went drug free.  For me the labor was the hardest.  My contractions were 2 minutes apart for the full 12 hours of labor (pretty unusual) For me when I got to push, it felt so good.  I did not feel pain in pushing or even when the baby crowned.  I just felt extreme pressure, but seriously no pain.  I had a second degree tear and needed 8 stiches, but believe me, you will not feel yourself tearing.  Even getting stiched up was a piece of cake.

I will say that if you wait to decide when you're in labor, then you probably won't go through with it.  I hit a wall and told my husband I couldn't do it and wanted drugs...if I had been at a hospital there is no doubt I would have taken them up on it!!!!  If you want to try to go natural you need to train for it.  Its like a marathon.  I would suggest taking a bradley course and reading up on as many natural childbirth books--- "Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth" is a good start.  Good luck in your discovery...just get informed and you CAN do it!!!  Either way you get a great reward when its over!

• For me the last two hours of labor were far more painful than the actual delivery. Delivery for me was just tons of pressure rather than pain. I do remember a pinch when my doctor cut. I didn't really experience any "ring of fire."  Going natural was such an amazing experience for me. You can do it! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWhitneyRaf:

I just gave birth to my first child a week ago......we had our little boy at home and I went drug free.  For me the labor was the hardest.  My contractions were 2 minutes apart for the full 12 hours of labor (pretty unusual) For me when I got to push, it felt so good.  I did not feel pain in pushing or even when the baby crowned.  I just felt extreme pressure, but seriously no pain.  I had a second degree tear and needed 8 stiches, but believe me, you will not feel yourself tearing.  Even getting stiched up was a piece of cake.

I will say that if you wait to decide when you're in labor, then you probably won't go through with it.  I hit a wall and told my husband I couldn't do it and wanted drugs...if I had been at a hospital there is no doubt I would have taken them up on it!!!!  If you want to try to go natural you need to train for it.  Its like a marathon.  I would suggest taking a bradley course and reading up on as many natural childbirth books--- "Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth" is a good start.  Good luck in your discovery...just get informed and you CAN do it!!!  Either way you get a great reward when its over!

I agree with the training part!!!  I also went natural and at home and I totally would have entertained the idea of drugs if I were in the hospital.  I was 8 cms for 6 hours and pushed for 4 hours.  They were both painful for me but the exhaustion was what really got me.  The pushing was probably more painful for me and definitely more exhausting...but then again, most people don't push for 4 hours!  If you really want to go natural you need to go into it saying that that is what you are going to do and then do it.  From my experience, you have to really want to go natural to achieve natural.  It can be done and women do it all of the time!  Many women say the labor is way worse than the pushing though!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I depends...my first labour was intense I think because i was given Picotin and the contractions were unbearable and on top of each other. Much harder than the delivery.

My second labour the contractions were hard but not unbearable and I progressed very quickly. However, I had major "ring of fire" and crowning pain to the point where I screamed and almost jumped off the delivery bed!!

• I have had 4 children and the labor contractions are horribly painful, keep in mind, I'm a wuss but I have to say, the delivery of my 4th child although only lasting 10 minutes was horrendous!!  I did have epi's with each kid (like I said, I'm a wuss) but it wore off with LO #1 and #4 by the time I delivered. 

• i don't have experience but i did take a 6 week course on natural birthing.  i can't imaging going in to birth naturally at the hospital without taking a class like this to educate me - it was TOTALLY different than the hospital birth class we took.

one thing we learned was the stages of labor - how in the beginning you will be excited and energized.  that will be a sign to your partner that things are beginning.  next you will say "ow this hurts" and he'll know you are getting closer.  then next you will say "i can't take it anymore" and that is his cue that you are in the transitional phase and close to pushing so he can encourage you by knowing where you are at.

good luck!

• I went natural, and if I remember correctly, the contractions were the worst part, although I caved when my OB said she needed to cut - I just wanted it to be over with.  There were two quick snips, so it wasn't terrible.  I think it helps to be able to feel the contractions so you can push with them, it might make the actual delivery easier.
  • Well, I had 2 really different labor experiences.  With DS, I tried to go naturally, but for many reasons, got the epidural.  The most painful part was the contractions after my water broke.

With DD, I can easily say that labor wasn't too bad until the very end b/c my water didn't break until I was ready to push.  Having that "cushion" helped tremendously.  I didn't think delivery was that bad either, honestly. DD was 8lbs 2 oz & I didn't have any meds.  I think I definitely got the benefit of those natural endorphins! :)

• Well for a start the whole thing is total agony. I would never have gotten to delivery without pain relief I would have thrown myself through the plate glass window before that.

But since the biotches turned back the epi against my wishes at delivery - I would say labour was worse, quite a bit worse. And that's saying something.

• You can absolutely go natural if you want to.  Most of the women in the world go natural.  Your body and mind are completely equipped to do it.

I laboured med free with both my boys, but I did ask for and receive an epidural at 10cm with my first (I didn't know I was 10cm when I asked for it, I had only been in labour for 6 hours).  While the pain relief with the epi was glorious, I immediately started pushing and continued to push for 2 hours.  I was unprepared for the 'ring of fire' and the pain of my son actually emerging.  I thought the epi would numb me completely, but all it did was take the pain of the contractions away.  I could still feel them and move around freely and I had complete and normal sensation on my skin.  I know the 'ring of fire' was undulled by the epi because my second son was born completely med free and natural. 

With my second son, everything happend much more quickly and I was hoping to go med free.  I got my wish.  Labour, though fast, was far more painful than the pushing/delivery part.  When I hit the transition, it was like one contraction that lasted about 15 minutes.  Oh, I was a very unhappy camper during that phase.  When I announced I was going to push it was such a relief.  Ring of fire again (only 19 months after my first, I had hoped it would be less) but the relief of my son being born was tremendous.  I instantly felt amazing when my littlest one was born. 

Both experiences were great, but if I could have a 'do over', I'd have skipped that first epidural.  Pushing for 2 hours was annoying.

A friend of mine who has had her 3 kids at home told me that her midwife says almost everyone has that 'epidural moment' when they think they can't take it any longer.  If you can get through that time, you're generally home free.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I don't have experience giving birth yet either :) But I agree with the above poster that if you wait till you're in labor, you probably won't go drug free.

I am taking natural childbirth classes to help me with my decision and since I'll be at a birth center to have the baby, I won't have the option of an epidural unless I transfer to the hospital. 

IMO I think the best thing you can do is research research research! Look into the benefits and risks of drugs/educate yourself on relaxation and coping technqiues (hypnobirthing, water birth, etc) and above all, have a strong support system around you at time of birth. If everyone is pressuring you to take the edge off with some drugs, you will probably not be able to hold out. If it is important to you to try, then you have to be prepared. If you're simply basing your decision on whether or not it will be painful you will probably not go drug free because it will be painful. If you base it on other things (health of your baby, side effects, your own sense of personal accomplishment if that applies) then you will have more reasons to go for it. Good luck!!!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• My birth experience was med-free at a hospital, with a doula, a midwife I didn't know, and I was in labor for 14 hours with 3.3 hours of pushing (10 hours at home, the rest at the hospital; got there fully dilated).  DD was kind of sunny side up, but faciang a little to my left, so that's why the pushing stage was longer.

For me, the labor part was the only thing I'd term "painful."

The delivery was not, just an amazing amount of pressure.  When she crowned I remember thinking "yes, this is what they call the ring of fire" but it was not bad for me and was more pressure than anything.  I tore some but did not know it or care.

At no point during the process of giving birth did the concept of pain meds enter my mind.  I didn't even think of them.

I took the Bradley course to prepare.  Initially my thinking was like yours, but during the process of educating myself on natural childbirth I came to agree that you need to kind of get committed to the idea.  It is a marathon.

After it was all said and done and I was holding my baby, I told my DH "well that wasn't so bad."  He later told me he was thinking "are you kidding me?  I thought your face was going to explode!" :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"