Birth Stories

Kennedy's birth story

Kennedy Marie was born at 5:43 a.m. on Thursday, weighing 7 lbs, 14 oz. and 22 inches long.

Last monday I went for my weekly checkup and was already 3 cm dialated and 50% effaced. At that point my OB said that it could happen any day. On Tuesday I started having contractions and went back in to the doctor, but I was still 3 cm.

On Wednesday morning I woke up and noticed I was still having contractions, so I started timing them. (btw, there is a contraction master application on the iphone that I used to time the contractions on Wednesday and I don't think I would have realized how much in labor I was without it! I highly recommend it!)

I went to work on Wednesday morning but noticed that the contractions were between 5 to 15 minutes apart and getting more regular. At lunch I told my boss I was going home. I then cleaned up the house, did the laundry and took my dog on a two-mile walk!  I wanted to progress as fast as possible.

By the time DH got home from work the contractions were getting more painful and were 3.5 to 5 minutes apart. I ate dinner, took a shower and did my hair before we left.. one of the best decisions I made. (Sounds vain, but I'm so glad my hair looked nice in the photos after the birth!)

We got to the hospital at 7:30 p.m. and I was 6 cm dialated. I labored unmedicated until 2 a.m. on a birthing ball, visiting with family and friends, and posting on the nest. (My mom has a picture of me on the laptop while on the birthing ball!) But, by 2 a.m. the doctor told me he needed to break my water. At this point the contractions were nearing my threshold of pain. I was 8 cm and knew that this was pretty much the "do or die" moment as far as an epidural was concerned.

I wanted to do natural, ideally. But, I also was ok going unmedicated for as long as I could, then deciding to get an epidural, which is what I did. And I'm so glad that I did... I'm also glad that I felt like I was "in control" of the situation.. even though I know nobody really is.. and that the decision about the epidural and delaying breaking the water and all that was left up to me. My doctor was super laid back the entire time.

After the epidural they broke my water and I hit 10 cm at 5:15 a.m. I pushed for 30 minutes and Kennedy was born! The actual birth/labor was not nearly as bad or painful as I thought it would be and I'm so happy it happened the way it happened.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

Re: Kennedy's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"