Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Weaning. Whole milk=throwing up

Hi ladies-- I lam looking for advice. I just started trying to introduce whole milk to my baby who turned 1 at the beginning of this month. I have tried milk mixed with breastmilk and 1) she hates the taste of the milk (at first I tried it straight) and 2) she throws up almost immediately after drinking it, even the smallest amounts

My goal was to get her to take whole milk 3 times a day and then still breastfeed morning and night so on the days I work I could quit pumping. Now I am not sure what I am supposed to do or how to get to this point. Any advice?

Re: Weaning. Whole milk=throwing up

• Options
    Does your child have a milk intolerance?  My daughter finally outgrew hers, but anytime she had any dairy she would throw-up within minutes.  I was unable to drink milk while breastfeeding because of this.  Is your child able to drink/eat other things with dairy?  Good Luck

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    She is fine eating yogurt and cheese, so I woudn't think she would have dairy issues but even the smallest amount of whole milk and it is immediate (her throwing up)... I am going to talk to the doctor on Wednesday when she goes in I guess and in the meantime I guess it's full time breastfeeding as usual!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had the same thing happen with Henry.  He wasn't sensitive to dairy in my diet while I was BFing, but when we weaned he started throwing up his whole milk.  He does fine with cheese and yogurt, though.  He was tested for a milk allergy and it came up negative so the pedi thinks he just has a sensitivity.  We put him on soy milk for a while but it has only about half the calories of whole milk, so the pedi wanted us to keep him on soy formula.  We try re-introducing milk every few weeks in the hopes his belly has adjusted, but no luck so far.  Good luck!
  • Options

My DS used to do this about a month ago when he got a hold of my DD's sippy of milk.  He would drink some and throw up almost immediately.  Both my husband and I have a sensitivity to milk (we're fine with other dairy like cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc) so our pedi thinks our DS might be the same.  Now he can drink a little bit and not throw up, but the temperature has to be just right (not warm, not cold). 

Maybe just keep trying?

• Options
    It sounds like it might be a sensitivity and I should just try again in a few weeks... for those of you who have had this issue, were you BFing? Did you just continue full time BFing longer than you wanted to? I am SO sick of pumping but BG is super tiny so I would rather not rely on soy milk with so few calories and she has never even tried formula.?
  • Options

imageseawatch06:
    It sounds like it might be a sensitivity and I should just try again in a few weeks... for those of you who have had this issue, were you BFing? Did you just continue full time BFing longer than you wanted to? I am SO sick of pumping but BG is super tiny so I would rather not rely on soy milk with so few calories and she has never even tried formula.

You can be sensitive to milk but still be able to eat cheese and yogurt, as the sugars are different. You could try having her eat yogurt and cheese to replace the milk she'd be getting - and you could keep nursing her when you're around, but stop pumping - any formula will have less calories per ounce than breastmilk. hth

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Thanks again ladies. I think I will just deal and keep pumping/BFing as usual until I figure this thing out. The last thing I want to do is kill my already sad supply when she can't drink milk! UGH... I was so ready to wind down at a year. Oh well. All for baby right? :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"