Birth Stories
Options

Ladies who took childbirth classes, please share your experience...

Hi Ladies!

I posted this a few weeks back, during the week. Thought I would repost for the weekend nesties....

I was wondering if you could do me a HUGE favor. I am currently becoming certified to teach prenatal (childbirth preparation) classes. The classes that goes over pregnancy and delivery, some postpartum stuff. I am in the process of putting together my outline for classes, and would love your thoughts.

I was wondering if you could share your experience with me, to help me decide what is beneficial and what is not, for the classes (or if you know someone and want to share their experience, that is great too)!!!

Did you enjoy your classes? Why or why not?

Do you feel like you learned what you wanted to learn?

Or did you feel like there was something you wanted to learn that you did not? 

Was some of the info too much? 

Did your instructor have group activities? What did you think of them? Like them or could do without them?

Any info, good or bad, would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks so much ladies!

Re: Ladies who took childbirth classes, please share your experience...

• Options
    My experience was a bit different than most people's probably.  We're planning a homebirth and had childbirth classes through our midwife.  There were about 4 other couples there and we met over 2 nights.  We took turns bringing healthy snacks and our midwives provided drinks.  We watched a lot of homebirth/natural birth videos and slides.  We went over how the process is "supposed" to go and what happens when there is a problem.  She showed us everything she brings to the birth and talked about what we need to have with us.  We got to ask a lot of questions and it was cool to meet people that were going through the same thing we were.  We didn't practice any breathing and didn't talk much about interventions because we don't plan on having any.  We talked about extreme cases of premature labor and overdue births, etc.  One thing my DH didn't like was seeing a lot of naked laboring women, it was kindof odd at times.
  • Options

I decided not to take our community's prenatal health classes because everyone I knew who took them said that they were a big waste of time.  But I am taking a prenatal yoga class, and for half an hour we discuss labour and delivery as well.  I'll let you know (in about four weeks or so!) if anything I learned proved helpful on delivery day!

My sister is taking the prenatal classes right now, though, so I can ask her about them too.  So far, all I know is that one women told the class that she "hates babies", so at least hers will be entertaining if nothing else!

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I loved my childbirth prep class. All of the information was very beneficial and I used the booklet that was given to us all the time. I would refer back to it a lot. I learned a lot about the delivery process and how the baby works its way down, as well as ways to get myself comfortable during contractions. We also took a tour of the maternity section of the hospital focusing on the room we would deliver in and the postpartum room. Hope this helps you!
  • Options
    The hospital childbirth class that I took was worse than useless. The thing should have  been entitled "how to be a good girl and comply with our hospital procedures and interventions". Basically, it consisted of several hours explaining hospital procedures and medically interventions with about 30 minutes dedicated to some lamaze breathing techiques.There was even a portion of it that discouraged us from trying too hard for a natural birth when pain relief is so readily available. Actually, I guess that it might have been helpful for wanting medicated birth or needing a c-section. However, I wanted as natural a birth as possible. Next time I'll definately research further and take private childbirth classes.
  • Options

Gloria, the ones in our area sound similar to yours - not so much about the prenatal as "here is what it might be like in the hospital".  But you can also just book a hospital tour, which is what I'm doing.  It's free.

The one difference is, in our area, they are apparently very anti-intervention in the childbirth class (and there is only one type of class offered through the city).  So if you think you MIGHT want an epidural, or might need a C-Section, they frown upon that.  I don't see why these classes can't talk about ALL options.

• Options

Hopoping for One,

Wow, it's just the opposite here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. When I got to the hospital the first thing they did was hook me up to what they told me was a manditory I.V.  and was told that I had to stay in bed and wasn't allowed to move around or anything.

I know that in many other countries and even other states that hospitals can be quiet different. A friend from California told me that they allowed her to use a birthing ball and everything. She had nearly as much control as if she had given birth at home.

Really, is it too much to ask for hospitals to give us both information on procedures, interventions, and natural childbirth? Childbirth is a life altering event; we need to be educated from all angles.

• Options

Gloria,

Just to clear up some confusion...

The childbirth classes are run by the City, not the hospital.

The local hospitals are open to natural births, medicated births...whatever.  I think it really depends on the doctor or midwife.

It is only the prenatal classes (again, offered by the City) that seem to be anti-pain meds, etc.

I agree with you though - health care professionals should just be really open to different ways of treating different people.  This is why I love my OB, because he really does seem to be that way.

• Options
    I LOVED my birthing classes. I met with a group of 5 women (and husbands), once a month in the beginning and as we got closer (6 month I think) we met more frequently. Our classes were run via the midwives to we got to interact/learn/build relationships with the midwives and make friends with the pregnat women. All our basic care was done together (the more personal exams) were done alone with the midwives. They gave us each a folder and on each visit we would work through worksheets, discuss what we were feeling, watch movies, ask questions etc. They provided food and water for us during these meetings. On our "group" tour of the hospital they showed us all the features that would be available to us..birthing ball, aqua doula, bathtub all the way down to where the midwives slept while on call! Over all I had an awesome experience BUT I have heard from fellow pregnant friends that it has gone down hill since then :(
  • Options

We're finishing up our childbirth classes next week.  There were a total of 5 childbirth classes, 1 anasethia lecture, a baby care class, and a breastfeeding class.  The classes are 2 1/2 hours long, but we spend 45 minutes practicing breathing and relaxing.  They have been extremely helpful.  Our instructor is for total naturarl childbirth, but she still goes over all of the other options.  The hospital provides several items, like the birthing ball and straddle bars to help with a natural childbirth, but they are ready and will quickly give you any meds if that is the way you want to go. 

Our insturctor has a sheet so we can share our emails and/or phone numbers with the rest of the class if we want.  She also provides tons of handouts of information.  She even provides a little snack for our break.  We took the small class of 12 couples instead of the big class; in my opion 12 couples is still a big class, so you may want to consider an even smaller group.  We are set up around a really big conference table, but the large class is set up more classroom style.  Our class joined the big class for the anasethia lecture, which was 45 minutes long and with one of the doctors from the hospital answering any and all the questions that we had.

Sorry that was so long.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"