Eco-Friendly Family

4 month shots and fever

My DS got his 4 months shots yesterday and is now running a 101.4 degree fever.  It was taken rectally and the insert that came with the thermometer says it is +/- 2 degrees accuracy so he could be at 99.4 or 103.4 yikes!  He is sleeping now and I gave him Ibuprofen before I put him down.  I will retake it when he wakes up.  He is being a little fussier than usual but I would be too if I had the spots on my legs that he has on his.   Never again will I let my ped talk me into doing something I feel is not right for my son (getting them all at once)!

At what temp would you call the dr?   What can I do to help lower it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4 month shots and fever

• that's not really that high for a baby, but i'd call to ask your doctor.  i'm the paranoid mom that calls when it reaches 100.1 :-P

he might sleep for awhile.  after he wakes up, take it again, and if it's not time for more tylenol but he's warm, i'd do a mommy/baby bath in cool water. 

• ds got his 4 month the other day and my pedi said if he has a fever ever to call...so I would call.  I might would think that the fever should be gone by now, but I'm not positive. 
    Did your DS get Rotavirus vaccine (it's a liquid)?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes he got the rotavirus and 3 others.  I know they told me something about fevers yesterday but they wait till after the shots to try and tell you somethings and with DS screaming I was not listening to them.  I was trying to calm him down. 
  • My pedi wants a call after 101. I would call and see, especially since he was still warm.
  • i just wanted to tell you, ds got the rotavirus and now has the most awful smelling poop ever.  i guess it's a live virus and he excretes the virus through his poop little by little.  so his poop smells like the rotarivus infection poop...ew!

and i would call pedi for that fever too.  i was searching and i guess they can have a fever for a couple days, but i would call just to be safe

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The fever is probably from either the Pc or HIB. One of those (I forget which offhand) is notorious for causing fevers. Be very cautious. I've read about the fevers getting high enough to cause seizures. It's very rare but I'm the type that would rather know the worst case scenario and be vigilant than to be blindsided by something. I'm sure your little one is fine and his body is just trying to process everything.
  • Thank you ladies.

It is down to 99.7 after his nap so I am just going to watch it and see what it does.  If it goes up the slightest bit I will call.  He does not feel as warm either and is a lot more active / happier than he was this am. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"