Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

2nd tri question about baby classes.

Hello! How many of you found your baby care/birthing classes helpful? DH and I intend on signing up but I've had a few friends tell me not to bother. My hospital offers a baby basics/birth all in one class. Would you recommend taking all the classes you can or skipping them all together?

Re: 2nd tri question about baby classes.

• Options
    We didn't take any and were fine.  I did do a fair amount of self-educating by reading books though.  Really, I think it depends on what makes you feel most comfortable.
  • Options
    We skipped.  I didnt' care about breathing.  I knew I was getting an epidural so I didnt feel the need to to know how to he he he he he he
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We thought ours was helpful. It gave us an idea about what was going to happen during the labor and birth and we did use the breathing exercises we learned.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the classes, it at least helped me know what to expect and it was a good learning experience for dh.
  • Options

I didn't take any classes and I don't feel like I missed out on much. DH already has a child from another relationship so he knew what he was doing. The only class I wish I would have taken was a breastfeeding class, it would have greatly helped if I were more educated about that. GL!

• Options
    I thought the birthing and newborn classes were good.  I found the breastfeeding class to be the most helpful.  We also took an infant/child CPR class which we hope to never use.  It cost us a total of $100 for all 4 classes and it was money well spent
    I give up trying to add my kids' photos. Just know that they are adorable.
  • Options
    I'm one of those people who wants to know exactly what is going to happen and I hate not knowing things, so the classes for me were great.  I was able to see all the different things that I was learning/hearing about (like what the catheter looked like, etc.) so for me, the classes were great.  I found it very useful, and if nothing else, my husband learned what he could expect.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    image image image
  • Options
    I used the Laugh and Learn Childbirth series DVDs. I found them informative, cheaper than classes, and more convenient.
  • Options
    Great! Thank you for all your info.
  • Options
    We took the birthing class and the breastfeeding class.  Worth it and kind of a fun part of the 1st preganacy experience, to me....
  • Options

YES, I thought our Bradley classes were very helpful.  Even though I ended up with csection, I still labored for 16 hours naturally.  We had an awesome instructor who also taught a ton of non-childbirth stuff like breastfeeding, newborn care, etc.  I still refer to her website for things.  It was also great for DH.  I am positive that without the classes he would have been a lot more stressed.

We also took a newborn care class that I could have skipped.  All of the stuff is coverd in baby books or by the hospital.

We took a safety/first aid/CPR class that was very helpful.  this stuff changes all the time so even books could be outdated.

If you don't want to pay for classes, do a lot of research!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I never took the class and I was fine.  i got the book from a friend that took the class.  The only thing I didn't already know was how big 10cm really is. 
  • Options
    We took the birthing class and while I didn't find it completely helpful, I felt like it made me a little more relaxed bc I had a better idea of exactly what to expect. I do with that my hospital offered a baby basics class... not that you cant figure it out, but I would have felt more comfortable and confident if it was offered and I took it. I do wish that I would have taken a BF class - I didn't b/c I knew that a LC would see me each day in the hospital, but every single person that I saw in the hospital (nurses included) told me different things and never showed me the proper way to do it. Needless to say, my attempts lasted only a week before I was so frustrated and now feel like b/c of that and my ignorance to not take the class that I lost out on a possibly good experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I thought they were very helpful.  I didn't know a lot about babies or the labor process before, so it def taught me and DH a bunch.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"