Birth Stories

Doula Pricing

For those of you who have had a doula, what do you think is a normal price?  We are really interested in getting one and she charges $750.  Is this a fair rate?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Doula Pricing

• I am not using one, but I have information from 2 of them in my area and they charge around $800 for two visits pre-labor and the time spent with you during the labor. They also have different packages if you want care after the birth that cost a bit more. But $750 sounds like an average rate.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • Whoa!  I live in Illinois and the doula we used was $350!  I'm not sure what the going rate it here though.  Sounds like we might have gotten a good deal with our doula.  I do totally recommend using a doula.  She helped so much before, during, and after the delivery.  I couldn't imagine not having here there.
  • Loading the player...
  • You got me curious so I just called a place in Morris County, NJ (where I live) and services for a birth doula (no postpartum care at all) are $900.00.  You have to pay $450 up front when you sign up and the other half is due 2 weeks before your due date. Interesting how much the costs seem to vary.  I'd pay $350.00 in a heartbeat!
  • Well I guess thats a fair rate for Florida where I live.  She said she will give me some prenatal classes and breastfeeding and newborn care help too.  And I really do like her but she kept asking if I wanted to pay the full $750 or a lesser amount which got me thinking.  It was as if she always lowers her rate to what people want to pay.  I'm just hoping that its worth it and I dont end up with a C Section or something because we have to pay either way.
  • I doubt she lets people pick a price. She would probably do a custom package to meet your budget. Meaning maybe less home visits, that sort of thing.  So if you want to pay $400 then maybe she woudl just do the birth itself.  KWIM?
  • I think it varies from city to city but ours is costing us $800, so I think you're in good shape
  • I'm in Oklahoma, and our doula is only charging $250.  It's ridiculously low and I'll probably give her a hefty tip b/c I would have paid her so much more.  This includes 2 meetings before delivery, her laboring with me at home all the way through 2 hours post-delivery (unless we say she can leave earlier), and one post-delivery in-home visit.  She is such a lovely person.  I feel blessed to have her as part of our birth experience.

• Doulas here are $500.  that includes before during and after delivery visits.
  • imageSoonerMagicMama:

I'm in Oklahoma, and our doula is only charging $250.  It's ridiculously low and I'll probably give her a hefty tip b/c I would have paid her so much more.  This includes 2 meetings before delivery, her laboring with me at home all the way through 2 hours post-delivery (unless we say she can leave earlier), and one post-delivery in-home visit.  She is such a lovely person.  I feel blessed to have her as part of our birth experience.

This is what my doula offers as well and we are paying $300. It varies by area, training, and what's included. My doula isn't certified in breastfeeding which is fine with me because she has breastfead all five of her children for over a year. Doulas in our area where anywhere from $250 to $800.

• I am in rural PA & my doula charged $400 for her services (including PP care) with an added $150 due to having to travel to do the home visits at my house/labor support.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"