Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Waking to feed?

Right now I'm still waking DD up every 3 hours to feed. 

How old was your LO when you let them wake up on their own to feed instead of waking them up?

Also, until what age do you follow the 'feed 8-12 times a day' rule?

TIA.

Re: Waking to feed?

• Options
    I'm visiting from the other board. You shouldn't be waking DC to feed unless your pedi has told you to do so because of low birth weight. Sleep is a must! Let DC sleep and they'll fill up on food when LO wakes up. it is fine to go up to 4 hours without food.
  • Options

is your DD at her birth weight? I stopped waking her at night to feed her after 5 days when she hit her birth weight. I still woke her during the day for the first month.

They wake when they are hungry. If its nighttime, let her sleep.

As for the 8-12 times- that is just an estimate. Follow your DD's lead if she seems to be feeding well. You will make yourself nuts if you start counting feeds, poops, etc. Trust me- you will know if there is a problem.

That being said...this is just my opinion. if there are no problems, follow her hunger instead.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to do that, but I have found that it is much nicer to feed her when she's hungry.  She sleeps longer and I'm not as tired.
  • Options
    I asked the pediatrician that today, because the last 2 nights, DD has been sleeping for like 5 to 6 hours between feedings. The Pediatrician said that since Peyton is gaining weight, slightly more than an ounce/day, that it is fine to let them wake up on their own.
  • Options
    imagejaninekrause:

is your DD at her birth weight? I stopped waking her at night to feed her after 5 days when she hit her birth weight. I still woke her during the day for the first month.

Yes - she's been at her birth weight since 1 week.

• Options

i felt better waking her during the day but honestly, she probably would have woke within half hour anyway of me waking her. At night- nope. never woke her. I was thrilled when I got 4-5 hours!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"