1st Trimester

Chicken Salad at Panera - yay or nay?

So, the scare of listeria......can I really not even get chicken salad at panera today?? Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Chicken Salad at Panera - yay or nay?

• Chicken salad is ok.  It isn't made with lunch meat.
  • I thought so too....but a form my RE gave me said to also watch for "tuna salad, egg salad and chicken salad..."  why??  Fear of the chicken not being cooked?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know, but the thought of chicken and typing the word chicken and thinking about the word chicken makes me want to vomit.

Can't handle chicken and yogurt right now!Ick!

• sgrlsgrl member

The NP at my doctor's office said not to eat chicken salad from the grocery store - stuff that's been sitting in a display case for who knows how long. She told me that it was ok to get chicken salad from this lunch place that I go to often as long as they make it fresh daily (I checked and they do, yay!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm assuming it's because the mayo might be exposed to bacteria? It can't be the chicken, it's just cubed white meat.

P.S. the chicken salad at panera is one of God's many gifts to this great earth. ::daydreams about a big fat sammie on tomato basil bread, no onion - side of chips and a lemonade::

• sgrlsgrl member
    imagercollier_17:

I don't know, but the thought of chicken and typing the word chicken and thinking about the word chicken makes me want to vomit.

Can't handle chicken and yogurt right now!Ick!

I feel the same way about bacon. Ugh!

• i think it is because some of the chicken used in chicken salad is "processed" just like hot dogs and lunch meat -- i used to work in a deli and they would just get in these huge tubs of tuna, chicken salad, and chicken for ceasar salads (which did smell like a hotdog it was so weird) .

i agree if they cook it at their location and serve fresh you should be ok.

• Why on earth not? I wouldn't think twice about ordering chicken salad. I don't know if I believe the whole lunch meat thing...but chicken salad isn't lunch meat.
  • The only thing I would think is maybe the mayo.  I'd def eat it though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 1st m/c July 2008, 2nd m/c December 2008, Baby boy born in 2009!, 3rd m/c (c/p) June 2011, 4th m/c September 2011
  • Just be careful with the mayo, mayo tends to go bad real quick if it has been sitting there for a while.
  • I don't think that you can rule out Listeria just because it isn't lunch meat.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but the problem with Listeria is its affinity for cooler temperatures.  So the problem with lunchmeat is that you don't cook it before you eat . . . same with chicken salad.

But I would imagine that there is a very low risk if it is fresh stuff.  Does anyone like the new Panera chicken salad?  I really liked the old one!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's because of the mayo, not the chicken.  It is the issue of Mayo getting bad sitting out a room temp for too long. 
    THE SWEET SURVIVAL
    Running PRs
    5 Mile - 35:05
    10K - 45:55
    Half Marathon - 1:40:31
    Marathon - 3:37:41
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"