Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

if your LO is asleep, do you wake them to change their diaper?

We're not close to STTN, but if your kid is asleep but you know they have a dirty diaper, what do you do? DD poops while feeding, but ends up falling asleep 90% of the time after. For now, I'm grateful for any time she is asleep, and I know I can change her when she wakes in an hour or two, but what do you do when they sleep longer than that? I don'y want to set her up for diaper rash!

Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015

Re: if your LO is asleep, do you wake them to change their diaper?

• Options
    no, i don't.  i coat his booty in a liberal layer of butt paste or aquafor before bed.  i will change him before i nurse but not after....normally it is a moot point because a). he rarely poops at night or in his sleep and b). if he does poop, he makes it clear that he is not putting up with it and must be changed immediately!!!
  • Options
    Let her sleep. Put diaper cream on if you are really worried in advance!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i dont, but i have a boy. i think its different with girls b/c they could get an infection
  • Options
    Only if it's a poop. DS doesn't poop when he's sleeping -- but he will as soon as he wakes up (without fail). He's actually just started sleeping through his last diaper change of the night (I don't like to put him to bed if he's wet because he pees a TON in his sleep & I want to avoid leakage as much as possible).
  • Options
    My motto is never wake a sleeping baby.  If you use disposable diapers, just put on diaper cream to form a barrier before putting her down for the night.  Luckily, as they start to sleep longer, their systems tend to mature a little and they stop pooping at every feeding.  Since DD started solids at 5 months, we're down to 1 or 2 poops a day, and almost never over night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My Ds use to poop every time after/during a feeding (now he does not poop every feeding). When he did poop during a feeding or shortly after I would go change him and then give him the rest of his bottle which would make him pass out again, but at least this time he was clean. There have been times when he had pooped, but for some reason I did not smell it so he was asleep with a poopy diaper until he woke up. I just make sure I put Aquaphore on him at each diaper change to prevent diaper rash.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    If she poops while nursing even if she falls asleep I change her. I do not wake her otherwise to do so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If DS poops during a nighttime feeding I will change him.  Otherwise I don't wake him to change diaper.
  • Options
    No way!  The nurses at the hospital said to put a lot of diaper rash ointment on him prior to bed.  Then, unless they ask to be changed, let them sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"