Cincinnati Babies
Options

CNN Article: Moms at risk for Internet addiction

I just read this article on CNN.com and while I don't think I'm addicted, I think I could easily head that direction.  There's some interesting points and theories in this article......just thought I would pass it on.  I'm going to pay more attention to my online activity now as a result of reading it!

https://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/13/mothers.internet.addiction/index.html

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
imageimage
imageimage
The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler

Re: CNN Article: Moms at risk for Internet addiction

• Options

That's a very interesting article. Like you, I don't know if I'm actually "addicted" - I don't forgo bathing or stay up all night to surf the net, and I'm not into Second Life or anything (probably a good thing, it sounds kind of fun and I probably WOULD get addicted) - but I could probably stand to cut down on my online time. Having a blackberry has only made things worse, too, I swear, if I hear that "ding" that I have a new e-mail or facebook notification it drives me crazy if I can't check it immediately.

• Options
    Interesting! I love using the internet for what I consider "mom stuff" like nesting, looking for clothing deals, etc. The one thing that helps me is the fact that my time on the internet at work is very limited due to teaching-- I really can only check anything at lunchtime. Sometimes when the kids are bad I will think longingly of just letting them be bad so I can go hide behind my desk and read the cnn.com headlines :).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The part that spoke to me was being "addicted to online errands".  I definitely think I could have a real tendency to lean that direction!  I feel so efficient when I accomplish real tasks online.  It was kind of scary that the article hit so close to home for me, even though I don't stay up all night or have any alter egos in Second Life.  But I will confess to having not showered all day a few times (before kids) to play on the Knot or the Nest.....
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options

This article hits really close to home for me.  My mom is an Internet addict-- she was one before it was a diagnosed disease, and it is one of the fueling factors in my parents divorce.  It is really easy to get sucked in to all sorts of stuff on the Internet.  It always makes me wonder what in the world we did before hte days of the Internet/DVR, etc...  If I'm not careful, I too get myself sucked in to stuff online.  (facebook, email (which I actually hate), and knot/nest/bump stuff).  I try to be disciplined about it.. and now I have to with a very active baby. 

• Options
    My brother is one of those socially akward world of warcraft type addicts.  I can definitely admit that before baby I was addicted (not in the no shower or ignore food kind of way though).  Now I Nest during the day and I am lucky if I check email and stuff maybe 1 to 2 times a week and facebook, usually just once a week or so.  I will say that not having a lap top any more definiteyl helps.  Lap tops make it way too easy to be online constantly.
    Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"