Cincinnati Babies
Options

When do babies stop needing overnight meals?

Piper STTN consistently since 7 weeks old, so this is new to me. Kady wakes up to eat 2-3 times most nights. As soon as she starts to fuss we run in there (before it turns into a full-blown cry.) If her eyes are still shut we'll give her her paci and turn on her seahorse and she'll fall back asleep, but if her eyes are open I get her and nurse her. She always latches on like she's starving and really goes to town. She goes right back to bed no problem after that. We put her down for the night around 7:30pm, usually awake yet drowsy, so I know she can fall asleep without nursing.

I guess what I'm asking is should I stop nursing her back to sleep in the middle of the night? Should we try harder to just do the paci, rub her back, etc. instead of picking her up even if she's obviously awake?

Also, we tried some rice cereal at night to help fill her up and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. But, daycare suggested that they start doing her rice cereal at lunchtime since she's starting to drink more than I can pump each day - the rice cereal fills her up so we can hold off on supplementing for now. I don't think she needs solids twice a day yet so she's just been having them at lunch now.

WWYD?

Re: When do babies stop needing overnight meals?

• Options

At Baby C's 6-month checkup the pedi said he should be going all night without feeding. He still woke up, and would drink what he was offered, but we eventually figured out that he just depended on the bottle to fall asleep.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options
    I've recently started always offering the paci first.  If she goes right back to sleep, I know she isn't hungry.  If she's hungry, the paci doesn't satisfy and she keeps crying.  9 times out of 10 the paci works for her and she sleeps at least 8-9 hours without eating.  I was very worried about her becoming dependant on being nursed to sleep once we moved her to a bed so the pedi suggested the paci. He said it was perfectly fine for her to go that long without eating, even with her being on the smaller side. 
    imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OK, that's good to know. I'll ask the pedi also but her 6-month appointment isn't for a few weeks. I guess I just didn't want to be cruel and deprive her if she was hungry, but she's far from underweight.
  • Options
    I recently discovered the power of the paci!  I had a little guilt about whether I was depriving her of food too.  But trust me, she lets me know if she's hungry which isn't often anymore.  Usually she'll go back to sleep.  I'm betting Kady will let you know if she's hungry vs. just wanting to be soothed back to sleep.  It's another one of those things you just figure out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am having the same trouble with Sophia, but she HATES the pacifier, is now teething and always has a soaking wet diaper. By the time we change her, she is awake and ready to eat. :(
  • Options
    By the time Justin was 6 months old, he had started waking MULTIPLE times during the night for feeding.  It was exhausting.  The pedi told me then that at 6 months old, most babies don't need a feeding overnight.  They're just using you for their pacifier.  We did Ferber at 6 months and it fixed our issues with night wakings.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options
    We don't go in to check on DD unless it's a full blown cry, or she's been fussing for more than 20 min.

I know there are times when DD wakes up & plays quietly in her crib, because I can hear her thru the monitor. The other night I couldn't sleep. It was about 2am, and she was in there talking and playing happily for about an hour. Then fell back asleep.

About the cereal - everyone's different, but I know when DD started, her pedi recommended starting her 4x a day right off the bat. Surprised us, but she took to it right away (at 4 mo). She's now on to baby food, but we still give cereal for breakfast, and for bedtime snack.
  • Options

Brandon STTN at 6 weeks.  He had a few wakeful nights @ 4 mos but it ended quickly.  Lately though he's been waking up in the middle of the night, but he's never really cried.  It's a kind of cry that's just an "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"  DH or I will go in and check on him and his head is still flat on the mattress.  If we leave him alone, he goes back to sleep. If we intervene, he'll act like he's starving and it'll take him hours to go back to sleep.  So, we've been leaving him alone.  He's been falling back to sleep within 10 minutes.  If the cry gets worse, we go in.  Does that make any sense??? 

I'm reading ferber right now to try to eliminate this waking up point and to help him with his naps.  He is very inconsistent with his naps and when he doesn't get one we all feel the pain.  We'll probably try ferber @ about 8 mos... gives me time to read up on it and it's when DH's schedule becomes more consistent so B is not doing something different 3 days/week. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"