Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby wakes up after hitting head on crib

My baby is almost 4 months old and she has slept in her crib since she was 2 weeks old and she has done great, I am nursing and she wakes up about twice a night to nurse and she usually goes right back to sleep. The past few weeks she has been rolling from tummy to back and back to tummy during the day, she is a very active baby. Now at night, she moves all around the crib all night head, bumping her head and waking up 3-4 times a night, and she won't go down without nursing. I won't use bumpers because of the danger of her suffocating, but I am tired! My DH and I go in and re-position her and pat her tummy, but she won't stop crying until she is nursed back to sleep, so that is a huge issue for me, as I was getting some good sleep, and now I am getting just a few hours a night. Anyone else go through this, and what did you do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby wakes up after hitting head on crib

• Options

Try a breathable bumper.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    have you tried a sleep positioner?? might work, but if she is that active she might roll right over it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would a bomb-proof swaddle or a sleep sack help her scoot around less?  Or you can strap her down with a blanket stretched over her and tucked into the sides of the mattress.
  • Options
    I honestly don't see the big deal with using a regular bumper.  The risk of suffocation is so small and it will keep your baby safe from hitting her head.  We didn't use bumpers at first (SIDS usually occurs during 2-4 months, so we were lowering our risks wherever possible) but we are going to put them back in now since she pushes with her feet and ends up bumping her head. 
    imageimage 
  • Options

We use a breathable bumper, and I hate to tell you, but it doesn't help.  DS wakes himself up at least once because his head is pressed up against the side of the crib.  A breathable bumper doesn't actually cushion them from the sides of the crib - it just makes it so they can't stick an arm or a leg out. 

We are in the same boat you are - DS moves so much, and sometimes completely spins himself around in the crib.  Swaddling won't work for us either, DS hates it.  We have started to let him do some CIO, and that is helping. 

Sorry I have no words of advice, but you are not alone!  Good luck!

• Options
    I put the bumpers back in DD's crib when she starting moving around like that. I came in twice with her feet hanging outside the slats and didn't want her foot to get caught.  I get worried about her too because DD tends to like to scoot right up to the top/sides of crib with her little head in the bumper but if the bumpers weren't there, she'd be hitting her head.  Try a breathable one if you feel more comfy, but I would put something in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"