3rd Trimester
Options

Big Baby!! Measuring 7lbs 7 oz at 34 1/2 weeks

The doctor measured me at my appointment today and was concerned that the baby was measuring big.  We had an ultrsound and the baby is already 7 lbs 7 ounces,  The doctor was concerned enough to follow up with me at home this afternoon to discuss the possibility of a c-section since the baby most likely will be 10 lbs plus.  I am on medication now to stop contractions because the doctor feels that gestationally, the baby is only 34 weeks and we want to get to full term.  Anyone else been told they are going to have a huge baby no apparent reason?  By the way, I am only 5 ft 3 in and have gained 24 pounds so far.  Where the heck is this huge baby going to go? I have no room left.

Re: Big Baby!! Measuring 7lbs 7 oz at 34 1/2 weeks

• Options

Wow!  That is huge.  Sometimes the u/s can be wrong.  If it's not, I don't se why they wont let you go early.

DD measured big.  She ended up being 9lb 2oz.  I had to have a c/s

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Max born July 25

Big sisters Alex and Layla

• Options

i had the opposite...

ds was measuring 4lbs 1oz at 36 weeks.  he was diagnosed with IUGR and the dr had no reason why.  she said some babies are just smaller than others and some are larger (or course there are medical reasons as well)

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't have personal experience, but my nephew's wife had a 13 lb baby for no apparent reason.  She ended up carrying to term, but had a c-section.  She's now 4 years old and is of normal weight. 

Also, u/s can be off a pound either direction.  They aren't always that accurate.  

• Options
    Me!  At my growth u/s last week, the baby was 8lbs 6oz.  I am having a c-section next week cause the Dr. doesn't think I will be able to labor a 9lb baby since I am pettite.  I have been tested for gestational diabetes and have passed all my tests.  I just have a huge baby as it seems.  I can't wait to see what his actual weight comes in at upon delivery.  I am amazed at the results of the u/s.
  • Options
    Keep in mind the u/s can vary a pound in either direction. That said, I totally feel your pain. Last week, our baby was estimated at almost 6 lbs. I'm 5' tall and very petite. The u/s doc at the hospital (not my OBGYN) expressed concern b/c I'm already high risk. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and another u/s scheduled for 37 weeks to figure out how to proceed.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better DD measured 6 pounds 12 ounces at our 30 week u/s, and she was born at 38.5 weeks at 7 pounds 1 ounce. This is how I know ultrasounds are wayyyy wrong. Seriously, there's no way she gained 5 ounces in 8 weeks.
  • Options
    Yowzers!  that is pretty big.  My baby was estimated to weigh 7lbs 9oz but at 36 weeks and 1 day.  So...I *may* have a 9.5 lb baby.  We shall see.  You can do it!  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow.. did the Dr. keep in mind they can be off by as much as a pound? At my 31wk 4 day appt we had a growth u/s and baby was already 5lbs. That was almost 4 wks ago. I don't know how big she is by now but the Dr. keeps telling me to watch what I eat b/c if baby gets too big we will soon be discussing potential c-sections.
  • Options
    I guess I should have added to the post that my belly measurement before the ultrsound was 38 weeks.  The doctors do realize the ultrsound could be off by as much as a pound, however, even if we are 6lbs, we have 5 more weeks to get to 40 weeks. For those of you farther along please keep me posted on what happens with you.  For my body's sake I hope all the measurements are very wrong.  Tongue Tied
  • Options

At 34w6d, I had a growth scan and babyA was 6 lbs 15 oz and babyB was 7 lbs 8 oz.  B/c of my history though, my doc has no concerns.

I have a 2 1/2 year old at 37 weeks he was estimated at 8 lbs 15 oz and when he was born vaginally at 39w5d, he weighed 10 lbs 15 oz.

I am 5'6", average size and although I failed my 1 hour GD test, I passed my 3 hour.

• Options

I had a big baby but I had GD. My son was born at 35w and he was 9lbs5oz. I delivered vaginally, no meds.

I wouldn't *recommend* that, but it can be done.

Did you have a Level I or a Level II ultrasound?  A level I can be off by up to 2 lbs (but a Level II only by 2 oz)

• Options
    Something similar happened to me with DC #1. ?They said I was measuring small, so they did an u/s at 35 weeks. ?They estimated that the baby was already 8 lbs 2 oz! ?I ended up going to 40 weeks and 5 days and DS weighed 7 lbs 12 oz. ?Many times the u/s are wrong, but I would listen to your dr. ?But, there is a huge margin for error even with the u/s measurements.
  • Options
    I had the opposite. I had a level II ultrasound today and she is measuring 2 lbs 12 ounces, in the 20th percentile for growth. I wouldn't worry either way, babies come in all sizes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"