Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

need help reducing feeding #

I just got back from the pedi app't with my 5-week old, and pedi had advised me that I should start stretching the time between feedings. DS is still feeding 10-12 times a day and is currently gaining weight really well. I'm very torn because obviously I just can't keep up the current pace of feedings - I am losing my mind from lack of sleep and also feel like I'm going nuts because I can't ever get anything accomplished at home b/c by the time DS gets done feeding & I've burped and changed him, it's almost time to feed him again. On the other hand, clearly the current system of feeding him all the time is working well for him, and I am TERRIFIED that if I cut down on the number of feedings then my milk supply will diminish. 

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice? Please?

Re: need help reducing feeding #

• Options
    I have never heard of anyone suggesting that someone cut down on feedings. My LC said that 8 is the minimum for younger babies, but ten or more is best. With BFing, it's okay to let the baby control when they eat (if they are gaining weight normally). I know it's difficult at first, I felt the same frustration, but the frequency will change eventually (sooner than you think). If it's too stressful at night, try having your DH feed at night wakings with milk you expressed. My DH would stay awake with DD and then wake me for a feeding. We traded off like that until she was 1.5 months or so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My kiddo still eats that many times a day sometimes and he certainly did at that age.  My opinion is if you are breastfeeding, you've got to go with kiddo's schedule - if kiddo is making the hungry signs, even if he just ate, I'm going to feed him.

I'd keep doing what you are doing if I were in your shoes.  He will get faster at eating; my kiddo got much faster around a month or month and a half.  And he started going longer stretches at night too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I totally agree with the above posters. 8-12x per day is normal for bf babies at that age and they will get more effecient and it will not take any time at all for them to eat. hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My pedi said today that as the baby and I calibrate--my supply and his tummy size--the feedings will naturally space out.
    Drew Isaiah: hypertension, induction, labor, emergency c/s. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Owen Anders: labor (natural onset), failed VBAC, emergency c/s. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"