Baby Names

Maery ~ Maerey ~ Marey

Hello,

My DH's mother passed when he was a child, her name: Mary Ann.  We aren't crazy about the name, but thought spelling Mary a new way would add a modern - unique twist to it.

My middle name is DeAnn so we could use the Ann or DeAnn as a middle name & it would still sound very simular if not exactly like Mary Ann & the baby would also share my middle name.

Which do you like best - or is it a bad idea?  Do you pronouce the following as 'Mary' or would it get misprounounced often?

Maery
Maerey
Marey

Thanks in advance!

Re: Maery ~ Maerey ~ Marey

• I've got to say, I'm not a fan of making up spellings of names.

Sorry. ??

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How about the name Marin (or Maron/Maren)? I have always liked that name. You could call her Marey as a nn.
  • Loading the player...
  • Instead of using a different spelling, what if you use a different version of the name? A different spelling of such a familiar, timeless name is only asking for a lifetime of corrections, IMO.

Marybeth, Mary Jane, May, Mae, Marlena, Maria, Mariah, Maura, etc etc.

I think you can still honor DH's mom without "taking away" from such a classic name.

• im not crazy about any of them, but if i had to chose id say Marey.

If you do Maery your gonna get -Mae-Ree. and Maerey is kinda crazy and i think id say Mae-Ray to that one.

Just my thoughts =)

• dpdwdpdw member
    imagemeghanchrisaz:

I've got to say, I'm not a fan of making up spellings of names.

Sorry.   

Ditto.  Maybe a variation of the name Mary Ann would work better for you.  Like Marian, Marion, or Maeve

• imageJnJHud:

Instead of using a different spelling, what if you use a different version of the name? A different spelling of such a familiar, timeless name is only asking for a lifetime of corrections, IMO.

Marybeth, Mary Jane, May, Mae, Marlena, Maria, Mariah, Maura, etc etc.

I think you can still honor DH's mom without "taking away" from such a classic name.

I like these ideas, and very good point, "I think you can still honor DH's mom without "taking away" from such a classic name."

• imagemeghanchrisaz:

Sorry.   

Ditto this.  There are SO MANY variations of Mary already out there...
    Marian, Mariana, Miriam, Maren, Marit, etc... no need to go making stuff up.

• Maery- Tell me this is a joke.
    Maerey- Tell me this is one, too.
    Marey- I guess this at least wouldn't be confusing. I would pronounce it with no problem but then think, "So... her name is really Mary?"

Awesome though to honor your DH's mom. But a really elaborate spelling of such a simple name.... I just don't get it.

• How about Mariana? Or Anna Marie?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • As someone who constantly has to spell her name for people, I can tell you that you are making your child's life a little harder than it needs to be by adding a "modern, unique twist." I like my name, but man, would it be nice not to have to spell out my name for everyone.

Blank!
  • The first two spellings make me think it sould be pronounced May-rey (b/c of the Mae thing) and the last one looks like it should be pronounced like Marley without the l.

What about using one of the old school nicknames or variations of Mary, like Molly, Marie, Miriam, Mitzi or even Polly is a nickname for Mary.

imageimageimage
                                     **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagethatgirlang:

Maery- Tell me this is a joke.
    Maerey- Tell me this is one, too.
    Marey- I guess this at least wouldn't be confusing. I would pronounce it with no problem but then think, "So... her name is really Mary?"

Awesome though to honor your DH's mom. But a really elaborate spelling of such a simple name.... I just don't get it.

Ditto Ang...word for word.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmismar:
    imagemeghanchrisaz:

Sorry.   

Ditto this.  There are SO MANY variations of Mary already out there...
    Marian, Mariana, Miriam, Maren, Marit, etc... no need to go making stuff up.

Exactly.  Please, don't make up a name/spelling... just go with any of the ideas above... or Maria, Mariah, Mary Lynn, Mary Ann, Mary Ellen, Marianne, Marielle, gosh, the possibilities go on and on.  I vote "no" on Marey/Maery/Maerey.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageAllThatGlitters101:

As someone who constantly has to spell her name for people, I can tell you that you are making your child's life a little harder than it needs to be by adding a "modern, unique twist." I like my name, but man, would it be nice not to have to spell out my name for everyone.

Please tell, what is your first name???!

• imagemeghanchrisaz:

Sorry.   

Ditto

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • It's a bad idea. Sorry. I think just regular Mary is a great name-why ruin it?
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• MsUMsU member

Thank you for your help. I got the names from a book/baby names resource. 

I appreciate your help ladies, I really do!  I have a simple name to spell & I agree I like that about my name. 

Have a great day.

• Leah1615, it's Taryn. The first response is always, "Karen?" And I say, "No, it's Taryn." And then they spell it out, "Taryn? T-a-r-e-n?" Like Karen with a K?" Nope. I'm not going to give out my last name, but it's horrendous as well. An old German 11-letter last name. I have to spell out everything! My husband's lucky I love him enough to have taken it!
    Blank!
  • What about Marion?  Its sounds similar to Mary Ann.  

I know you said you aren't a fan of Mary Ann, is it the name in general or the spelling.  I know a few people who spell their names Marrianne or Marianne.  One friend has no E.  Just some suggestions.

• imageAllThatGlitters101:
    Leah1615, it's Taryn. The first response is always, "Karen?" And I say, "No, it's Taryn." And then they spell it out, "Taryn? T-a-r-e-n?" Like Karen with a K?" Nope.

Interesting! I love the name Taryn. It was in my top three of girl names! The hassle of spelling confusion and karen mixups never occurred to me.

• LMS05LMS05 member
    I agree with everything that's been said. Marilyn is really nice.
  • yeah, that is interesting! I like that name too and I have heard it before. People always would mispronounce my name as LEE and that was extremely irritating.
  • I agree with maybe using a different variation to Mary. Or picking a name that you like and using Mary as a middle name.
  • Not a fan of those spellings, sorry.

I like your idea to update the name and still honor your MIL...How about Annmarie? 

• No one will ever pronounce her name right. I'd look for a variant of Mary (there are HUNDREDS) before I did this.

Mireille (pronounced mee-RAY) is pretty.

FWIW, my husband's late mother was a Marianna, and that's our girl name. To make it different, we're playing with nn options. My mother's lobbying for Mia, but we're considering Mari (MAH-ree) since we're using the Italian pronunciation (MAH-ree-AH-na instead of Mary-Anna).

• Oh my Tongue Tied Seriously I don't care for any of them.  Misspelling common names to be YouNique drives me insane.

Why don't you use the middle name as Mary.  No one really cares what thier middle name is normally.  That way you can come up w/a first name you like.  Or forget about Mary and just use Ann.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • image*francisca*:

Oh my Tongue Tied Seriously I don't care for any of them.  Misspelling common names to be YouNique drives me insane.

Why don't you use the middle name as Mary.  No one really cares what thier middle name is normally.  That way you can come up w/a first name you like.  Or forget about Mary and just use Ann.

Or something modern and pretty with Maryann as a mn. To use a common example, Makayla Maryann. I think that's lovely.

• Bad idea.   If you are going to name her Mary, spell it Mary.

• i'm sorry, i really can't stand made up or "alternative" spellings. i do understand not wanting such a common name for your child, though. what about a name that has mary in it?

marian

mariella

marigold

rosemary

or a combination fn/mn like:

mary ann

mary lou (not a fan)

mary clare (my sister's name)

or you could always check a baby name website for names related to or variations of mary

• LMS05LMS05 member
    Mary is common, but not for children nowadays. She won't have any other Marys in her class. I think it's a beautiful and classic name.?
  • Changing the spelling does not change the name. If you don't like the name mary, find a different name.

Maybe Annmarie?

TTC since 8/2012

• i've seen merry or merrie... IMHO, great alternatives, but not invented-sounding.

AND it means happy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NMS. It's basically Mary with a weird spelling.
  • I knew a girl in HS named Mara...pronounced Mar-uh. It's only one letter from Mary Smile
  • FWIW, I think Mary is really pretty (and uncommon!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"