Preemies

C has to have a bronchoscopy :(

Campbell has been seeing a pulmonologist for a while due to loud breathing (aka stridor breathing). 

He originally thought it was due to laryngomalacia due to her reflux.  This was fine with me because it's not dangerous and she'd eventually grow out of it.  Well, she hasn't grown out of it and sometimes it's really loud (especially if she's breathing harder due to playing, laughing, etc).  She also snores really loudly. It's so loud other people often ask if she's congested or has asthma because it sounds like wheezing.

He has always told me it "could" be caused by scarring or damage from being intubated.  This was doubtful because she was only intubated twice- once brieflly to get surfactent and once when she got an infeciton and had to go on the vent for 24 hours around 3 weeks old. 

Well, since it hasn't gotten any better, he's starting to think it could be from either a cyst or scarring.  He wants to do a bronchoscopy.  He says it's "optional" but he would advise it because if it is a cyst or scar tissue and she should get croup or something it "would not be good."

Ughh, I'm really nervous because she'll have to be put to sleep and that scares me.  I also just hate that she has to go through anything else.  Hopefully she'll pass this like she did her EEG: with flying colors! 

The good news is that he'll know for sure if it's the laryngomalacia or scarring/cyst immediately and we can fix it.  

I'll keep you guys posted.

Re: C has to have a bronchoscopy :(

• Poor Campbell!   And poor Campbell's parents.

At least they will know right away what the issue is so they can fix it.   And then she won't have the loud breathing.  Hopefully it will be quick.

• Ugh.  That is a bummer...I really hope that it is quick and easy.  Logan has to go under general this summer to fix a botched circ and I am dreading it!  I feel your pain momma!  I'll be praying for good news!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    IVF 1=BFP, beta #1 8dp5dt 24, beta #2 12dp5dt 50, beta #3 14dp5dt 88.9
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Weishaars' World
  • Loading the player...
  • ijackijack member
    I'm sorry Martha :( I'll pray that it goes well and you get good news!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Oh no!!

FWIW, Leo had surgery last September under general anesthesia. It was a quick, minor procedure, but I was terrified of the anesthetic. I talked to the surgeon and the anesthesiologist at length about it, and the anesthesiologist told me that general anesthetics in a baby that is 6 months or older is no more risky than using a general in a full grown adult! 

Please keep us posted. I hope the doctors don't find anything serious.

• I'm so sorry you have to go through this.  Drake has been under anesthesia so many times I have lost count and it never gets easier.  He gets a bronch regularly and our ENT says that he gets "light" anesthesia so they can see him breath somewhat regular.  I'm not sure if that makes you feel better but Campbell might not have to go under all the way and she won't remember a thing!  

HTH!  GL!

• I'm sorry you all have to go through this. I hope the whole procedure goes quickly & you get your little girl fixed!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh!  Poor C!  Having them go under is no picnic and there are no right or wrong answers to the situation, but at least you know and can treat her for the right thing.  Let us know how things go.
  • I'm sorry. ((HUGS)) I hope all the tests come out fine.
  • that sucks! im sorry. hope it goes well.

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
  • surgery sucks.. I'm so sorry.

I hope it goes really quickly and can be fixed.

• Oh that is awful!  I will be praying for you all - when Ethan had surgery and had to be put to sleep it was harder on mommy than him.  They are so resilient. It sucks to see them go through anymore but Campbell is strong!  Hang in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"