Success after IF

Filing/cleaning baby fingernails

I've been told not to clip the baby's nails yet b/c the skin grows underneath, so I try to file them.

However, every time I try to do this DS has a fit and yanks his hands away. I usually end up giving up. But today he has two little scratches on his face from clawing at himself. Any tricks for filing baby's nails? Do you try when he's asleep, maybe?

His nails also get dirty. I bathe him, I swear! Not sure how to get the dirt out-- I'm afraid I'd hurt him trying to clean under them with any sort of instrument-- any ideas?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Filing/cleaning baby fingernails

• we clip DS nails, usually after he eats (so much easier). ?i've never heard not to clip b/c of the skin growing underneath, i hope it's not a problem. ?i have no tips for filing other than try to do it when he's sleeping, maybe that will work.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • oh man, i deal with this too.  my nails are just long enough to use to clean under his.  filing was always a huge pain and i would have the best luck while he was asleep or nursing, but even then the file never worked well.  i've been clipping them for a few weeks now (really scared to at first) and it takes care of them better than the file.  he used to scratch himself & me all the time!
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I clip my sons nail after he falls asleep and he has the same problem with the dirt under his nails!  I try to clip them more often so he has less space for dirt, and also have used a baby toothbrush that's soaked in tub when he takes a bath.  Also, using the fingernail clippers to just kind of scrape up the gunk works well.  I just run it underneath his nails and it comes right up!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've pretty much always clipped.  I used to do it when they were asleep and surprisingly it never woke them up.  It's a nightmare now.  I wish I was able to file them but it was impossible.  Maybe there is a trick I don't know.
  • I started filing but when the twins were about the age of your boy I started clipping.  It was scary at first but once I learned to get them when the babies are calm or sleeping it helped a lot!  I have also heard that some mom's bite the nails off -- Ryan's are so dirty there is no way I could do that!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use a soft nail brush in the tub (which he thinks is a game) and I don't clip or file...

I still bite E's names. hey, it works great and never once hurt him!

: : hangs head in shame : : 

2vc9jsg.jpg

• I never filed. I always clipped.  Reed looked like he was playing in thorn bushes at a week old. I clipped them and we had no problems...It is wayyy harder now that he is so mobile.  He wants to grab the clippers and play with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"