Working Moms

Graduate School question...

Hi...I am 14 weeks pregnant with my first child. I work full time as an adviser at a university. I have my first Masters in Education, and have been working on my second Masters in Community Counseling. I have the 7/10th of the courses completed, but I need to complete a 600 (240 direct contact with clients)....all while working full time, and now, having a baby.

I go through phases of "I can do this!" and other phases when I get mad at myself for trying to do too much.

I am thinking about overloading graduate classes over the summer so that I only have one class in the classroom, and one Distance Learning class. As for my internship, I am currently working in a Substance Abuse Clinic, and I am petitioning to have some of my work hour at my full time job count (since I am a adviser!!). 

I am use to pushing myself in all aspects of my life especially when it comes to multitasking work and school. I love education! But, I am concerned I will miss out on some "alone time" before baby comes with my significant other and with myself. I'm also concerned I will be too tired and preoccupied to care about the program.

Should I take four classes over the summer, and continue in the Masters program? Any advise??

thanks Smile

Re: Graduate School question...

• As you know, grad school is a lot of work!

Yes, I would cram as much in before the baby as you can. 

• I'm working on my ph.d. in clinical psych and agree that you should take as much as you can before the baby gets here. I am also used to pushing myself, but with a baby it doesn't matter how much you push yourself, there are times when you just can't get things done. I was super preoccupied while I was pg, but I was still able to get stuff done. Once ds was here it was just not possible to get everything done that I needed to get done. I no longer get work done at night or on weekends unless I have a big deadline. And I like it that way. Things change SO MUCH once the little one gets here. Do what you can before and take time alone and with ds when you can.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I finish my degree in May. It was definitely easier pregnant than it is with a 1 year old. Thankfully I only had 2 classes to take after she arrived. I managed to finish the term last spring after she was born then took fall off to get used to working and being a mom before becoming a grad student again too!

So, take as many classes as you can now and let DH know you will need him to pick up slack when/if you have to go back to classes post-baby.

• Okay, so I'm a lurker on this board and haven't had my baby yet, but I have my Master's in School Counseling. Going through the Counseling Program while juggling working full time and just life on top of that was absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done thus far in my life.

If I had it to do over, I would have done as you are thinking. Cram everything just to get it out of the way. I only went part time, so I had three and a half difficult years. I wish I would have just sucked it up and gotten it out of the way.

Good luck in whatever you decide! Counseling programs are rough...but worth it in the end!

• I would absolutely get it done now.  You don't realize it yet but all those classes are 'me' time!  I say this bc I am ready for a career change but don't want to take classes now bc it would take away the little time I have with my baby. 

Go for it. You won't regret it.

• Thank you all. It's nice to know what others have been there, and succeeded :)

Smile

• I've been pregnant for the whole second year of grad school and will graduate a few weeks before the baby is due. I also work full time and my school and my job are in two different cities, which means a healthy commute on school days.  I say get as much done now before you get really big and tired!  I front loaded on classes, and while it felt like too much at times, I'm glad I did it.  Plus, it's never too soon for your partner to get used to doing more around the house :-) Good luck, and know that you can do it!! But if you decide you can't, that's okay too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"