Multiples

officially on bedrest at 23 wks...

Went into the hospital over the wknd with a shortened cervix and with contractions (which I never knew was even happening). They gave me some meds to stop the contractions, which helped to slow them down a lot. Stayed overnight for 2 nights then was released on the 3rd day. They didn't do the cerclage (stitch) procedure. I guess they felt that bedrest would help alone. My cervix was still soft but hadn't opened or changed since I first arrived.

Has anyone gone through this and how early did you deliver? My goal is to make it past 30 wks.

Re: officially on bedrest at 23 wks...

• I was on bedrest at wk 22 for contractions - I sat there for 3+ months and delivered at 36w6d!  I actually ended up getting induced b/c there was unexplained bleeding and the boys were looking good.

Each week is a milestone, 

• I was put on bedrest at 25 weeks 2 days due to my cervix thinning.  I was in the hospital from 30 weeks 5 days to 32 weeks 5 days because my cervix had thinned more and I had started to dilate.  When I was in the hospital I was also having contractions (which I felt) and was put on meds to stop and prevent those.  I ended up getting a c-section at 35 weeks 6 days because I was developing pre-e.

Just follow your doctors orders and stay laying down as much as humanly possible.  Don't put any more pressure on your cervix than you have to.  Every pregnancy is different, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make it to at least 30 weeks.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Your story sounds very similar to mine!  I landed in the hospital at 23w6d with a shortened cervix . . . in three weeks it had gone from 4.0 to 1.8.  I was too far along for a cerclage as well (my dr said the risks of my bag of water breaking during the procedure was greater than just going into labor b/c of the cervix).  I was able to go home, but was on strict bedrest from that point on.  I was only allowed to go up & down my stairs once a day, I was allowed to take a 5 min shower and then only allowed up to go to the bathroom.  The only time I was allowed out of my house was for drs appointments (and I was not allowed to drive myself).  I spent 9 weeks on bedrest and delivered at 32w6d due to a UTI -- I was fortunate in that I never had contractions the whole time until I went into labor from the UTI.  My twins were 4lbs 4oz and 4lbs 7oz and spent 21 & 26 days in the NICU.  They are fine now!

I started making short term goals as well . . . first to make it to 28 weeks, then 30, then 32, etc.  My ultimate goal was to make it to 34 weeks b/c then my dr would lift some of my restrictions. :)  

Take care!  Sara

• I'm so sorry about the bedrest.  Hang in there!
    My Blog: Say Lucky Pregnancy Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was put on bedrest at 23 weeks as well for shortened cervix and contractions that I couldn't feel.  I was induced at 36 weeks 2 days for high blood pressure.  My boys were 4 lbs 6 oz and 5 lbs 9 oz.  Only one of them stayed in the NICU for 24 hours for observation.  They both came home with me 2 days later. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was put on bedrest at 26 weeks for a shortened cervix (went from about 4cm to 1 in a matter of weeks). After 9 long weeks, I was finally allowed to move around at 35 weeks, and I ended up being induced at almost 39 weeks and everyone was fine. After that initial thinning, my cervix didn't change (even when an ultrasound showed my son's foot in it at one point!! thankfully he flipped). Good luck with everything - I'm sure you guys will be okay!!
  • My cervix shortened suddenly to 1 cm at 23w. ?I was put on ibuprofen to keep my uterus as calm as possible (wasn't having contractions, just had an "irritable uterus"). ?I was sent home on bedrest for a week, then admitted to the hospital on bedrest at 24w. ?I got the steroid shots around 24-5w. ?Around 28w I was also put on procardia to really make sure that things stayed calm. ?I was taken off of ibuprofen at 30w. ?At 34w, I was taken off of procardia & sent home on bedrest. ?Ultimately, I was induced (elevated bp) & delivered at 35w6d. ?The babies did great & did not go to the NICU. ?Hang in there...bedrest can be very effective!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"