Pregnant after 35

"Since you'll be over 35...

...when you deliver we'll need to set up an appointment with the genetic counselor as well."

Jeez.  Nothing like making me extra-super-DUPER aware of my age.  Stupid appointment making woman. 

Hi, ladies!  I guess I'm introducing myself. Smile

Re: "Since you'll be over 35...

• I don't get it, why a genetic counselor AFTER delivery? Isn't that too late to find out about birth defects?

Luckily my clinic is either too lazy to care or they just treat me like any othe pregnant woman. The only thing they said about my age was that they recommended an amnio. But I chose not to get one based on my negative screening results (negative=good).

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • I never had that problem before I moved, but since arriving in So Cal my new OB's office has taken no less than 3 occasions to say, "oh, since you're old we'll need to offer you an amnio/send you to a perinatolgist/point out that you're high risk." Nice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, and welcome!
  • I know.... you expect them to offer you a walker and bowl of milk toast while their at it...good grief!
  • Welcome to the old ladies club Wink and congrats!

If it makes you feel any better, when I went for my technical ultra sound at the hospital at 20 weeks, the ultrasound tech told me that she and the staff there were cracking up at the paper work the darlings at my OB office sent over because it had me listed as "ELDERLY"!!!!  Huh?

• Hi! Welcome to the board!
  • ....wait, you guys didn't get the walker included with your "What to expect when REALLY OLD and you're expecting " book? 

:)

Christine

• Welcome to the board!!!

And I must have missed the memo... I wasn't told to set up an appointment with a genetic counselor.  And my practice has EVERYONE do a NT Scan?even the young 'uns. So when my results were good, that was that. Though I did ask my OB to run a full genetic panel (blood work for carrier markers) before I even began TTC and all came back negative.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • imagestever:
    I never had that problem before I moved, but since arriving in So Cal my new OB's office has taken no less than 3 occasions to say, "oh, since you're old we'll need to offer you an amnio/send you to a perinatolgist/point out that you're high risk." Nice.

I feel the same way.  I said to my ob/gyn at my last appointment, what happen back in the 50's and yrs before when there was no such thing as high risk and women were having babies with no issues.  They make you feel as though your ancient.  I didn't even know what a genetics counselor was until I googled it.

• imageOnly_for_awhile:

...when you deliver we'll need to set up an appointment with the genetic counselor as well."

Jeez.  Nothing like making me extra-super-DUPER aware of my age.  Stupid appointment making woman. 

Hi, ladies!  I guess I'm introducing myself. Smile

Welcome btw..fyi some insurance companies don't cover visits by the genetics counselor,,I found out $500 later.

• My grandmother had her 7th (God bless her) child in 1953 when she was 39.  So, it happened.
  • How D and welcome!?

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageJennyTom:
    My grandmother had her 7th (God bless her) child in 1953 when she was 39.  So, it happened.

Yeah, my grandmother had my dad when she was 40 and my uncle when she was 46 back in the 40s and no one thought it was weird or that she was high risk. Of course my dad was born at home. Stick out tongue

• Welcome to the old lady's club. Congratulations. I personally love it on this board and am glad to be still here, still old, still pregnant!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PeskyPesky member
    Welcome to the club!!  FWIW, I never had to see a genetic counselor for either pg so far so I'm kind of curious as to why she would say that. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Thanks for the warm welcome! 

I guess it's standard procedure at the practice, but I will definitely have to ask about the insurance piece at my appointment on Thursday! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"