North Carolina Babies

Birth Story

I am going to try this again--after working on my first one the computer ate it. It's a long one, but that is because I am detailed to a fault!

It is hard to believe my baby is 5 days old. The days have all run together and I feel like a zombie. They have been the best days though, no complaints, other than they are flying bye so fast. 

Last Tuesday I went to the OB because the baby was not moving hardly at all. I just wanted to check it out, so I went in. I was set to go in Wednesday for an ultrasound to check her fluid level and weight, but they said to come in Tuesday too. We did a NST, and of course, that went great. She was moving great for that!  I was still closed up tight and very discouraged. I gave up at that point.  We would talk more about induction Wednesday. 

All day that day, (Tuesday) I had felt crampy. I figured it was the same typical cramps I had been feeling, and just figured it was nothing, per usual. The cramps got worse and I started feeling kinda funny about 10:00pm while we were watching Biggest Loser. We headed to bed at 11 and I could not fall asleep. The cramping got worse and I started to feel contractions. After I tossed and turned for a while, I started paying attention to the timing. Pretty strong pains, 30-45 seconds, 4-5 minutes apart. I also had to pee every 5-10 minutes, and would pee a ton. There was just no way this was normal considering I did not have even half the water I was getting rid of! My contractions were coming hard and fast and by 12:30 I was really uncomfortable and had a feeling this was the real deal. Went pee for the 5th time in 10 minutes (not kidding) and there was some blood. I was pretty excited! I figured it was my mucus plug or my bloody show. I then stood up and felt a small gush. I thought it was my water and went to tell Zach. I told him to start waking up and I would get in the shower. I got showered, dressed and ready to go, and Zach called the doctor and timed my contractions. 2-3 minutes apart, lasting a little less than a minute. He took a shower while I tried to find comfort on my birth ball, and I was so glad we got it! It was the only place I could be during a contraction.

We left for the hospital at about 2am, and I was in PAIN. They were coming quick and intense. I was not a fan of my first L&D nurse. She asked when we got there if I had a birth plan and DH said I had wanted to try it natural, but if was open to drugs if I wanted or needed them. I said right then and there I would be needing an epi. Well, every time that  nurse came in and she asked how I was (seriously, how do you THINK I am??) I said i wanted drugs. She alwasy brushed it off and left without giving me any. 

When I got there I was sure I was at least 1-2 cm considering my pain and the intensity of the contractions. Nope. STILL 0%. I was shocked and I was so upset. After another hour, still 0%. This makes for laboring hard for about 5 hours with zero progress. An hour after that, I was 1. Ok, now we were getting somewhere. I wanted an epi SO bad. I just wanted to die. My contractions were off the charts and I was exhausted. At about 7:15 my new L&D nurse came in and GOD BLESS her. She was great. She saw my pain level and checked me--only just 2cm. She told me that I was only 2 and the pain was just going to get worse the farther along I went. Seeing as how I wanted to die at that stage, I begged her for an epi. The anestesiaologist (sp?) could not get there any quicker. He missed the first time, and after the 2nd try only my left side went numb. I had to get a bolus and after about 20 minutes I felt like a million dollars. Drugs are amazing. How can anyone do it without them? Seriousy! I am pretty tough, and I was definently going to go natural. I was prepared for the pain and wanted to do it, no matter what. I am SO glad I did not wait any longer. I ended up laboring for 9 hours without meds and I did not want to go any longer! Especially only dilating 2 cm...

Dr. Flannagan came in a little while later and I was 4cm. She found I had meconium in my fluid, but it was light and she was not worried about it. She wanted to flush some fluid up there and see if she could get a clear return. Also, the baby's heart rate started to dip when I had a contraction. She thought that maybe her water was low or she was laying on her cord. The extra fluid would not only help thin out the dirty fluid, but also maybe help her not stress. I also was put on oxygen to help her out. After an hour, I was still 4cm and the fluid was not coming back out! It was very strange. The heart rate did stop having the dips though, so they thought that maybe she was just low on fluid and she would be fine. They decided to stop the fluid and go for another hour and see where we were as far as progress was. If I was not progressing any faster, they were going to start pitocin. Well, after they stopped the fluid her heart took dips again during contractions, and I only progressed to 5cm. The nurse went out to talk to the doctor and to get my pitocin. This was about 12:45pm. The doctor was getting concerned about the baby. DH and I were also getting a little concerned. We thought the pitocin would make her even more stressed, considering she was already having issues wiht regular contractions, and pitocin makes them stronger.  The doctor came in and expressed the same concern we did, and gave us two choices. 1. Try pitocin and see if I progressed quickly. If it did not work, and caused more stress on the baby, we would need an emergency c-section. 2. Do the c-section right away and just get her out.

20 minutes later I was wheeled into the OR and was being prepped for surgery. I was not scared of the c-section, but I was pretty nervous. They upped my epi and made sure I was numb. DH came in and they started. 10 minutes later, at 1:40pm, I heard my baby cry for the first time. It was the sweetest sound. DH and I both started crying. They asked him if he wanted to watch her come out, and he stood up and got to see them pull her out of me. She started crying right away and it was the best sound I have ever heard. They showed her to me as they walked out to check her. DH went with her and then finally brought her out to meet me. I got touch her little face and watch her while they worked on stitching me up. Then DH had to take her away again and I finally got to be with them in the recovery room. 2 hours after I had her I finally got to hold my little angel. The tears just kept coming. She is so beautiful and perfect. I just can't get enough of her.  The c-section was not bad at all, but the recovery is pretty tough. I spent 4 nights in the hospital and I am just exhausted and sore all over. I am really swollen from all of the fluids and can not wait to look normal again! I will try to figure out how to post pictures of her!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Birth Story

• Glad you and your baby girl are happy and healthy! Congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh wow - so wonderful! Congrats again!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats, can't wait to see pictures!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Congrats!! Can't wait to see pictures!

I was really swollen as well when I came home (despite having no swelling issues during my pg), but it went away pretty quickly & I hope your's does the same!!?

• Congrats! ?It is good to write it down. ?Yours sounds very similar to my story - even down to the timing. ?We got to the hospital a little after 2 AM, I had strong contractions that weren't doing a thing - baby went into distress and Kylie was born vis C/S at 1:37 PM :)
  • I'm so glad you're doing well! I was soooo swollen after my c-section, and I still am, but it's been 6 days and I can finally recognize my knees so there is hope! 

It sounds like you had a somewhat similar experience as I did.  I wasn't too scared for the c-section (although the night before I was) as well considering I had been pushing for 2 1/2 hours, baby's heart rate was thready, I had spiked a fever and I was just too exhausted I could have cared less how that baby got out of me (just as long as it did!).  It's so amazing though in the end to see your baby and just can't believe it's yours and when you do, the tears just flow! 

Congrats again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Beautiful story, that one brought tears to my eyes. ?Can't wait to see pics.
  • Thanks for sharing your birth story!  I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl! :)
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for sharing - glad everything ended up okay.  I hope you have a nice, speedy recovery from the C!
  • Thank you for sharing, Lala!  Glad you both are doing well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I'm glad everything went well and your little girl is here!  I too was super swollen after from all the fluids they gave me.  My post-c/s photos are not pretty. Stick out tongue
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congrats! I can't wait to see pics of Miss Keira :-)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Congratulations! It sounds like a pretty intense labor, but I'm glad everyone is healthy! GL with the recovery, take it easy and enjoy that baby girl!
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • YAY! Glad you are both happy and healthy. Congrats again!
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• So glad that u are both doing well. I can relate on teh frustrating labor front...and after having been on pitocin for over 9 hours and never making it past 3.5 cm and ending up with a C-section...u made a good call just going ahead with the csection and not having to struggle through the pitocin. Can't wait to see pictures of the sweet lil one!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • congrats! I hope your recovery goes well and we are all excited to see pictures of your sweet little girl!
  • Congrats again Lala. Thank you for sharing your story. It brings back so many wonderful memories. Stay on top of your pain and you just worry about your sweet baby girl and healing. Let everyone else do all the other stuff.
  • Congratulations!  Glad you are both doing well and I can't wait to see some pictures!
  • I'm happy to hear that you and your little girl are happy and healthy! Congratulations!
    Catching up on sports news...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats, Lala! I can't wait to see pictures of your little one!
  • Congrats again! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • I am glad to hear you and the LO are both happy and healthy. Congrats!
  • Awww, thanks for posting this.  What a great story.  I'm so glad you both are doing great!  Can't wait to see pics of your little angel.
  • Congrats again Lala!!
  • Thanks for posting, very interesting!!!  So Dr. Flanagan delivered then...very cool !!! 

Hope you recover well and are enjoying your little girl !!!  I can't wait to see pics of her!!!  : )  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"