Working Moms

Need Some Help

This is my first time posting on this board but was hoping you guys could give me some advice. My son is about to out grow the carrier (he is almost 8 months old), and it is about time to upgrade to a different car seat. Our problem is that my husband and I both work, and my DH drops my son off in the morning and I pick him up. Not only that, but we drop him off at my MIL house and she usually will drive him around on errands and such. Would we have to buy a car seat for each car (my DH, mine, and my MIL), or is there a car seat we could get that we could take out easily and transfer from car to car? I know the good car seats can run close to $300, and I just don't see how we can afford to buy 3 of those. If we did have to get 3 car seats, is there a cheaper brand that works just as good in your opinion?

Most of my friends are stay at home Moms so they really didn't have too much advice to offer us. I'm hoping one of you ladies might be in a similar situation!

Thanks!!

Re: Need Some Help

• We just wound up getting 3 car seats as well - it's so much easier and quicker then taking in/out a car seat.

I saw one on sale for like $50 at JcPenneys the other day but dont remember the details...

• We have a Graco ComfortSport in each car and really like them. They run about $80-90.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have two carseats.  We ended up getting an Evenflo, which is much less expensive than the Britax ($150 vs. $300).  We did bring the carseat into the daycare and switch cars for about a week before we got the second carseat.  It isn't that big of a deal, except that it is kind of heavy with a diaper bag and a 22 lb child in your other arm.  I hear that the Britax is easier, but then again, twice as expensive. 

• We have two seats.  I know that one of them is an Alpha Omega Elite, but I don't remember what the other one is.  I know that we got a good deal on the second one at albeebaby.com. 

I can't imagine having to switch out carseats.  You can definitely find some very safe, reliable seats that are not $300. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We ended up buying 3, but in your situation, it would make sense to try switching out for a couple of weeks, and if it got too difficult then buy 2 more.

• Thank you so much for the replies! This helps a bunch to hear what you ladies are doing. I think I'll look into the graco carseat.
  • We bought three.  The more expensive seat (and most cushion) is in my vehicle, since that is the one that we would take on longer car rides.  DH and ILs have a cheaper one - $60-80.  I would try switching and if it is too inconvenient, buy more.  FWIW, I wouldn't want to mess with installing and removing everyday. 

• We bought an Evenflo Titan for my car because we couldn't bring ourselves to spend $300 on a convertible seat (we got a Britax Roundabout for my shower).  It was $100 and we had a 20% off coupon at BRU so it was $80.  It's worked out great. 
  • Britax has a sale twice a year. February and August, I think. We got our Roundabout for $150 and our Boulevard for $230 last February.

Our third seat (for our sitter's car) is a Cosco Scenera, which is about $40 at Wal-mart and gets GREAT safety ratings.

The Britax's are worth the money, IMHO, but if you don't have it, then you can definitely get a safe seat for much less. Having three Scenera's would be far more convenient than having one Britax that had to be transferred on a regular basis.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"