High-Risk Pregnancy

Questioning the safety of the glucose test...

Quick question for you GD girls: ?Prior to pregnancy, I would have issues with my blood sugar being too low. ?Being a nurse, I though it would be a good idea to get a glucose monitor and test to see when I get that feeling if my blood sugar is low. ?I only checked a few times, and often it was a bit low. ?Once I would eat, things would be fine. ?Fast forward to a pregnant me: ?Last week I started feeling "not good" and thought my sugar might be low. ?I tested and it was 441. ?Yes, 441. ?I called the doctor, they brought me in, and found my urine to be negative. ?He didn't think that it was possible for me to be that high. ?Since then, I have tested regularly and am always high (usually between 150-200). ?They want me to skip the one-hour and go straight to the 3 hour glucose test this week. ?My question is, since I already know I am having issues with GD, is is safe for me to consume 100g of sugar in 5 mins when even eating a lean piece of meat sends my glucose up? ?I just can't see how putting that kind of stress on my body can be good for me and baby. ?I have already determined that I am having issues, so I am not sure why they are putting me through this test. ?Any thoughts? ?Thanks so much!
BFP #1 - Chemical Pregnancy ----BFP#2 - DD born at 32 weeks-----BFP #3 Spontaneous Identical Twin Boys lost due to Missed M/C - on 7/1/11----BFP #4 Baby girl lost due to Trisomy 22 on 1/6/12 PGAL and PAL Always Welcome! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Questioning the safety of the glucose test...

• I would think that a doctor would not put you on medication without an official diagnosis... which would mean taking a GTT test.

And since you're usually between 150-200, I would say you definitely need to be on medication.

I've always been told that one high number won't put you or baby in danger, it's being consistently high that is more dangerous.

I would probably do whatever it takes to get a diagnosis and medication as soon as possible... even if it means taking the test.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe they want you to test so they can refer you to a diabetic educator...most insurances don't cover them without the 3 hour test results/ referral. Also they want to see your numbers...some women have passed the 3 hour after getting a high number with there one hour. I know that's not your case, but when are you measuring your blood sugar is it right after you eat? 1 hour? or 2 hours? are you measure at fasting?

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with you, completely AND share your extreme concerns.. see my post below and the replies I got.......  entitled.."glucose test nxt wk, scared to go NPO"....

• I didn't do the 1 hour test because of m/s and when they sent me for the 3 hour test, they tested my blood on a glucometer first and it came back at 160, which they said was too high to give me the glucose for the 3 hour test.  So I was basically diagnosed without either test being run.  Maybe you won't have to do the 3 hour either depending on your number that morning.
  • It sounds completely ridiculous that they want to test you.  With readings that high, you should just move on the next phase of managing it.  The highest reading I've ever had - even not pregnant was 107 and my A1C has never gone above 5.7.  Have them do your A1C, push to skip the 3 hour and if you're already testing, do this....take your fasting when you get up and then test after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner following your normal diet.  Give them that info.  While it's safe enough since blood sugar affects are not all based on 1 reading, if you're having cumulative issues, why add 1 more reading.

• imageJosieH:

It sounds completely ridiculous that they want to test you.  With readings that high, you should just move on the next phase of managing it.  The highest reading I've ever had - even not pregnant was 107 and my A1C has never gone above 5.7.  Have them do your A1C, push to skip the 3 hour and if you're already testing, do this....take your fasting when you get up and then test after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner following your normal diet.  Give them that info.  While it's safe enough since blood sugar affects are not all based on 1 reading, if you're having cumulative issues, why add 1 more reading.

Yes, but since it sound like Gestational diabetes and not type 2, I doubt an A1C would be very elevated....since that looks at your blood sugar levels over the last 90 days.

If you're concerned about the test, just ask your OB to check a serum level and if that's not elevated then you ought to have the 3r GTT, as it is the diagnostic test for gestational diabetes.

(PS - I'm a Nurse Practitioner)

• Have you calibrated your monitor?

The effects of diabetes are mostly long term, so one high moment from the testing should be fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"