Alabama Babies

Bottles....

I had a couple of bottles that came with my pump that I used when Nate was a baby. Luckily thats all I needed. With me working full time I'm trying to figure out what bottle will be best. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of each bottle just so I can see which one the baby/I likes best. Is that silly? Does/did your baby have a preference on bottles/nipples? Do you have a favorite? Are there certain ones that dont work well with certain pumps? Help! ;o)

Oh...I'm really wanting to use glass bottles...anyone have any experience?

Re: Bottles....

• We got so many different kinds of bottles as shower gifts that we are just goign to use the different kinds and see what the baby prefers. So far we have one Dr. Browns, a couple of the Playtex drop ins, several Medela bottles and a few cheapy bottles I figure we'll use as the baby gets older.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Avery doesn't care what she drinks out of.  I went with all BPA-Free bottles.  I couldn't get glass bottles because day care doesn't allow them so check with that before you buy them.

I use the Medela bottles - because I can attach them to my pump parts.  BF babies don't usually need a bigger faster flow nipple so its workin gout for us. 

We also have a few Born Free bottles (BPA Free) and a Green To Grow bottle.  She takes all of them

What I would do is see how it goes - whatever you get for your showers you can try out and if your baby chooses one over the other, you can go buy more of that kind.

Also - if it's a standard size bottle, you might just be able to switch nipple brands. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the heads up about glass bottles and daycare. I didnt realize they wouldnt take them. My mom will be watching the baby for me but I have a daycare that we will use on a need to basis. I'll be sure to check with them.
  • I think that having a variety is a good idea. we have used medela, and have just started using Avent as well. I thought that I had wanted to use dr browns, but since we dont have a problem w/ fussiness/gas/etc,,,I just havent wanted to deal w/ all the parts....but they are great for babies that need them.
  • Robinson is a very gassy baby, so yes, he is particular about which bottles he likes.  I don't think you are silly at all for buying one of each and see what works.  From friends/family, we had a good variety and then just saw what worked well for him.  We also did all BPA free...we didn't do glass, but that's just b/c DH was scared of dropping them (lol).  We tried Playtex drop ins, Advent, Born Free, then Evenflo (I don't even remember the name, b/c he hated them so much).  He really likes the Born Free...if I could afford it, I would buy a TON of those bottles.  They are awesome and we have very minimal spit up with them.  As he's gotten older, he tolerates the playtex really well too- which is great since they are less expensive and don't require as much sterlization.  I personally hate the Advent bottles- they leak really badly, and the nipples get extremely hard after a couple of sterlizations...we also have the worst spit up with those.

We've never tried Dr. Brown's, but the preemie board raves about them and my best friend's DD loves them.

Sorry for the novel- HTH!

• Lyla was a spitter. She spit up all the time! Sometimes right after she ate, sometimes an hour after she ate. The Dr. recommended Dr. Browns and we loved them. More parts to wash but it helped her. Before Dr. Browns we used Avent, didn't care much for them, they leaked!
    DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hannah only liked the Playtex Ventaire bottles!! ?She would use the avent every once in awhile but 98% of the time was the ventaire ?:)
  • We use the glass Dr. Brown bottles.  Jude has never been that picky with bottles though.  He also really only used these from the beginning.  We love them though.  We did notice that if we used just a normal type bottle (evenflo cheapy or medela one) that he had more gas than with the Dr. Brown ones. 

Yes it can be aggrivating with all the different parts to wash - but if you have a dishwasher caddy it isn't that bad. 

His daycare has never had an issue with us using glass bottles. 

• We have both the Playtex Drop-Ins and Dr. Browns.  We use both daily (whatever is clean) and she has no problem with either.  I probably like the Dr Browns better though.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I must be the odd one out - we've always used the BPA free Avent bottles with no problems.  I tried the medela ones since that is the pump I have, but I hated those - they leaked really badly!

I think it's a great idea to have a variety to try out!

• Thanks for all the insight girls! I really appreciate it. I was leaning towards the glass dr. browns, but the evenflo and munchkin glass bottles have the cute silicone wraps that have been catching my eye ;o) Guess we will just have to see what works best for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"